Litigation Investment Counsel
Legalist is the world's first AI legal asset finance firm. We source, underwrite, and invest in the best litigation-related situations aided by cutting-edge artificial intelligence technology. We recently closed our second fund, and we're disrupting a booming asset class, backed by top VC's in Silicon Valley. Legalist continues to grow rapidly, and we’re looking to continue to reinforce our business and philosophy as we expand our squad with top talents worldwide.
We’re keen to have an investment counsel to help deploy our latest litigation finance fund. You’ll be joining a kickass team of engineers, lawyers, and data scientists to make real-time decisions in a fast-paced environment. If you're an incredible litigator, interested in building the future bridging law, technology, and finance, Legalist might be for you.
Who you are
As investment counsel, you'll be our unsung hero on the front lines performing last-mile diligence on cases, assessing their merits, damages, collectability, and other assorted risks. At Legalist, we receive thousands of applications a year, after our technology filters down to just the cream of the crop for our legal team to dig into. You'll be working with our General Counsel to make final investment decisions on those cases, interacting daily with top partners at AmLaw 100 firms to negotiate terms and finalize investment agreements.
At Legalist, you'll be advising the investment committee on real-time investment decisions. Our small legal team is augmented by our proprietary technology to make your job easier. You'll be using cutting edge legal tech to invest in litigation led by the best firms.
- Legal research and due diligence on investment opportunities - we’re looking for someone who has an eye to every angle of litigation possible. Once you’re on board with Legalist, you’ll come to find that we’re a team of diverse problem-solvers who are driven to help our clients be successful.
- Preparation of investment memos - we’ll be trusting you to not just vet winning opportunities for Legalist but also to discern if your recommendation is justifiably worth pursuing. Since you’re working with our kickass General Counsel, high-level collaboration is a must. It would be awesome if you’re a natural proofreader. Preferably someone who is extremely thorough and someone who can spot typos in a document with a quick glance.
- Translate Legal Knowledge to Automation - since you are client-facing, the ability to communicate and digest legal terms without sounding intimidating (okay maybe a little) nor confusing is exciting for you. Once you’re on board with us, you’ll also be working with engineers to help build better technology to support our business goals. The goal is to communicate your expertise like you’re doing a Ted Talk.
- J.D. from top 20 law school
- 4+ years experience at a mid-sized firm
- 1+ trials chaired
- Experience in several litigation areas
(Please note: litigation experience only; no corporate law experience necessary)
Thank you for reading! With your expertise helping us out, we would deliver solutions to a greater extent. Take your career to the next level and apply in Legalist today.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $115,000.00 - $145,000.00 per year
- Litigation: 7 years (Preferred)
- 1. Do you have a specialty litigation area? If so, what? (e.g. trade secrets, qui tam, etc)
2. Describe your current firm [biglaw firm, solo firm, plaintiff mill, defense mill, mid-sized firm, other]
3. What is your firm known for?
4. Describe the key underwriting risks for a litigation funder.