When you join the Behind the Book team, you have the opportunity to work in a creative, innovative, and supportive work environment. Share your passion for literacy, kids, and making a difference.
About Behind the Book:
Behind the Book is a literacy non-profit that serves students in Title l NYC public schools. Working with classrooms from Pre-K-12, BtB identifies books that reflect the lives of our students and partners with teachers to create immersive curriculum units. Through a series of workshops, authors discuss their book and teach a genre of writing, encouraging students to see themselves as readers and writers and ultimately guiding them in the creation and publication of their own original writing.
Program Coordinator Description:
Behind the Book seeks a part-time program coordinator to run innovative reading and writing programs in schools. Our goals include engaging students in reading, increasing writing skills, and self-efficacy. Every program is built around a book and its author and is designed in partnership with the author and the classroom teacher. The coordinator facilitates and leads this process and is present to guide every workshop.
The program coordinator will be responsible to:
- Design programs that align with curriculum and Common Core Learning Standards
- Research and identify books which reflect demographic and reading level for programs
- Order book sets for all classroom programs
- Conduct initial classroom visit to introduce students to BTB program
- Produce all necessary program materials
- Schedule workshop times for all programs
- Collaborate with Behind the Book teaching artists to implement art workshops
- Coordinate all logistics for all programs, including field trips, author w, volunteers etc.
- Manage collection of forms for all programs, such as student photo releases, teacher agreements, surveys, etc.
- Document and reflect on program successes and challenges as part of our ongoing performance measurement system
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred) in education or related field
- At least 5 years teaching and or literacy coaching experience in an urban setting
- Passion for literacy, reading, and books
- Familiarity working with NYC DOE principals, teachers, and stakeholders
Flexible schedule dependent on program schedule and weekly team meeting. 25-30 hours a week. Candidates interested in the role please submit a cover letter.
Behind the Book is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation, family responsibilities, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $30,000.00 /year
- Teaching and/or literacy coaching: 5 years (Preferred)