Role: Entry Level GIS Consultant
Duration: 6 months
Location: Melbourne, FL
- Responsible for analyzing geographic information about the earth's surface and the objects found on it, as well as providing technical and analytical support to address issues such as environmental management, exploration and mining, land ownership and titles, urban and regional planning, utilities and asset management, and demographic marketing.
- Work with related GIS software and programs to create and maintain databases and/or maps that can be combined with geographically referenced data.
- Meet with users to define data needs, project requirements, required outputs, or to develop applications. Compile geographic data from a variety of sources including censuses, field observation, satellite imagery, aerial photographs, and existing maps.
- Analyze spatial data for geographic statistics to incorporate into documents and reports.
- Enter new map data through use of a digitizer or by direct input of coordinate information using the principles of cartography including coordinate systems, longitude, latitude, elevation, topography, and map scales. (It should be understood that this is not intended to be a detailed nor comprehensive description of any individual employee's job content.
- Managers set the specific duties and responsibilities for each employee).
SCOPE: Receives predetermined work assignment with specific instructions.
PROBLEM COMPLEXITY: Works on problems of limited scope. Follows standard practices and procedures in analyzing situations or GIS data from which answers can be readily obtained.
IMPACT: Contributions are usually limited to assignment related activities.
Decisions and achievements may have direct effect on project schedule.
LIAISON: Interacts daily with supervisors and/or functional peer groups. Interaction normally involves exchange or presentation of factual information.
FREEDOM TO ACT: Under close supervision, the individual performs the routine aspects of assignments analyzing geographic information requiring knowledge and application of basic GIS principles.
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT: KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS AND ABILITY: Has knowledge of basic fundamental, concepts, practices, and procedures.
TYPICAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's degree in a GIS, scientific or equivalent discipline and ? 1 year of related experience.
Job Type: Contract