Full Job Description
Job Title: Youth Development Professional
Hourly Salary: (pending on education & experience)
Hours per week: Monday – Friday, Part-Time, some nights/weekends
Location: Boys & Girls Clubs of Tustin
The Youth Development Instructor will supervise safe, educational, and fun social recreational programs and activities for youth ages 5 – 18. Plans, implements, supervises and evaluates activities provided wi May be asked to participate with other programs such as Education, Special education, Social Recreation, the Arts, Physical Education, Health & Life skills and Technology.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
Prepare Youth for Success 10%
- Create an environment that facilitates the achievement of Youth Development Outcomes:
· Promote and stimulate program participation;
· Provide guidance and role modeling to members.
Program Development and Implementation: 30%
- Effectively implement and administer programs, services, and activities for drop-in members and visitors.
- Monitor and evaluate programs, services, and activities to ensure safety of members, quality in programs and appearance of the facility at all times.
- Prepare weekly/monthly calendars that offer a variety of activities, thematic to the season, and it is delivered to your direct supervisor in a timely manner. Ensure that the calendar is issue/posted for members to review and participate.
- Develop new dance programming ideas for members, including the resources needed and budgetary requirements
- Choreograph one dance per class for the end of year recital or special event performance.
- Create age-appropriate performance opportunities for all members.
- Introduce music appreciation sessions to ensure youth are exposed to generational, cultural, thematic or specialized genres to expand their music knowledge.
- Collaborate with IMPACT Development Director on costume design, needs and budget for performances on or off-site.
- Ensure a productive work environment by participating in weekly/monthly/quarterly staff meetings.
- Supervise and assist members in program areas.
- Maintain inventory and have knowledge of the whereabouts for all music and dance equipment and props.
- Set and maintain appropriate standards of behavior using positive reinforcement, while supporting children’s self-esteem.
- Reports injuries and completes required forms.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: 10%
- May participate in special programs and/or events.
- Carry out cleaning and facility maintenance duties as assigned.
- Maintains a cooperative relationship with all other staff members
- May be required to drive Club van.
- Attend meetings ABGCP “The Big Orange Chapter” monthly meetings when recommended.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
Internal: Maintain close, daily contact with Club staff (professional and volunteer), Club members and supervisor to receive/provide information, discuss issues, explain or interpret guidelines/instructions; instruct, and advise/counsel.
External: Maintain contact as needed and directed by immediate supervisor or director of operations; with external community groups, schools, members’ parents and others to assist in resolving problems.
- High School diploma or GED or attending college or re-entering the job market
- Experience working with children
- Knowledge of youth development.
- Ability to motivate youth and manage behavior problems.
- Ability to plan and implement quality programs for youth.
- Ability to organize and supervise members in a safe environment.
- Previous experience as a dance performer or instructor
- Established communication skills, both oral and written
- Knowledge of group dynamics and age-appropriate activities for school-age children.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Club staff, subordinates, Board members, community groups, and other related agencies.
- Good computer literacy with multiple computer applications. (Monthly calendars/flyers, etc)
- Bilingual capabilities (Spanish) a plus+
- Valid CA Driver License with appropriate certification
- Mandatory CPR and First Aid Certifications
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Mental function: Includes reading, writing, mathematical computations, problem solving, managing multiple projects, calmly handling complaints and problems from Club members, parents, citizens, volunteers, business or community partners, and decision making under some stressful conditions.
- Productivity: Must perform work in an efficient, effective and timely manner with minimal direction. Works with high volume and tight deadlines. May require working split shifts, and/or extended hour/day long assignments.
- Mobility: Frequently sits, stands, walks, climbs stairs; stoops, bends, reaches overhead. Will require sufficient mobility to work in an office/program setting and operate office equipment. Employees may be required to perform light lifting and carrying file documents, supplies or equipment in various locations and heights, and sit, stand/or seated to work at a computer terminal for prolonged periods of time. Uses both hands and legs simultaneously. May move students weighing up to 25 pounds. Repetitively twists and exerts pressure with wrists and hands. It requires rapid mental/muscular coordination. May be asked to drive a passenger van as needed.
- Vision: Vision sufficient to read the small print, computer screens, and printed documents, and to operate assigned office, sport or maintenance equipment.
- Hearing: Required to hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
- Environment: The normal program, (I.E.; sports, environmental, technology, cooking, etc.) and office workspaces. Required to work at both indoor and outdoor environments; individuals will be exposed to fumes, gases, machinery with moving parts, and moving vehicles. Also, frequently exposed to minor, occasionally severe contagious diseases.
- Other factors: May be required to work extended hours, including evenings, and weekends for special events. May be required to travel to attend meetings/conferences and to use a personal vehicle in the course of employment (with mileage reimbursement).
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $13.00 to $16.00 /hour
Pay may depend on skills and/or qualifications
- High school or equivalent (Required)
Hours per week:
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- Aggressive -- competitive and growth-oriented
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative