POSITION TITLE: Large Animal Care Technician
LOCATION: NIH/DVR 14 area
SUPERVISOR: Floor Supervisor
Under the direction of the Floor Supervisor the Animal Care Technician shall have demonstrated knowledge and skill in handling animals, especially canines, swine and Non-human primates. They shall be able to recognize the appearance of abnormal animals and be able to maintain a clean environment for all animals. In addition, this person will also be responsible for assisting investigators, keeping appropriate records, and providing supplies when requested. The Animal Care Technician shall maintain accurate room logs and maintain the cleanliness of the facility.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must have AALAS Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician certification or one year’ experience in a laboratory animal facility, animal hospital, zoo, or related animal field. All Animal Care Technician’s shall train and become ALAT certified within one year of employment.
- Candidates must possess an excellent command of the English language both written and verbal in order to effectively communicate with investigators and other staff members daily.
RESPONSIBLITIES AND DUTIES:
- Provide animal care and husbandry services, including but not limited to: feeding and watering animals; handling and restraint of animals, cage and bedding changeouts; cleaning and sanitizing animal rooms, hallways, ancillary equipment; monitoring environmental parameters as required; assessing the presence of vermin and effectiveness of control efforts; performing animal health checks; assisting in the local delivery and transport of animals; assisting in the inspection ad storage of feed and bedding materials; performing minor equipment and facility maintenance.
- Observe and report any abnormalities in animals, equipment, or facilities to the floor supervisor or the Project Manager.
- Perform husbandry, restraint, and environmental monitoring tasks in accordance with established NIH SOPs
- Ensure that procedures and practices involving the program of animal care are appropriate for the continued maintenance of AAALACi accreditation of the NIH facilities.
- Adhere to security procedures and confidentiality requirements.
- Assist, when requested, in experimental planning and logistics and scheduling of projects.
- Participate in the ongoing employee training program, with special emphasis on safety and health training, safe work practices, and use of personal protective equipment.
- Perform job tasks and duties in compliance with NIH “Guide”, facility policies, regulations, safety, and security procedures.
- Perform work in compliance with applicable safety requirements.
- Adhere to equipment sanitation and sterilization schedules.
- Ensure that records, logbooks and other project records are appropriately and contemporaneously maintained.
- Comply with the QA/QC program.
- Recommend changes in operational procedures that might increase the efficiency or effectiveness of work procedures or practices.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $16.00 - $17.50 per hour
- Animal handling and restraint: 2 years (Required)
- animal health observations: 2 years (Required)
- Animal Husbandry with Monkeys: 1 year (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends required
- Holidays required
Company's Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible