LINK, Center for Advancing Industry Partnerships, is seeking an Associate Director of Business Development to support industry partnerships for Virginia Tech. LINK is a jointly funded center between the Office of Research and Innovation (OVPRI) and University Advancement. OVPRI supports university-wide strategic initiatives, innovation and technology commercialization, and operational functions of Virginia Tech’s $520+ million research enterprise, which spans nine academic colleges, eight university research institutes, and three affiliated corporations. Advancement works with alumni, friends, and donors to meet philanthropic goals to support students, faculty, research, and outreach initiatives at the university. This position is key to the ambitious plans Virginia Tech is making to be a leading land grant university that delivers innovative solutions to the most pressing global challenges of our time.
The Associate Director of Business Development will be located in Northern Virginia and serve as the primary interface between a defined portfolio of industry partners and the university. This individual will be part of a distributed and matrixed team, working together to bring a holistic approach to partnership, from Discovery to Market. This person will support partnerships and engagement as they relate to key strategic activities at the university, including those associated with the recently awarded $25M Commonwealth Cyber Initiative. This person will identify, nurture and expand relationships through research-based partnerships, connections to research centers, institutes and programs, faculty expertise, facilities and equipment, facilitated working sessions and co-creation activities, fundraising, facilitation of student hiring and internships, professional training, advisory board opportunities, networking events and other University activities and programs in response to industry partner needs and interests.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Innovation and Partnerships, the Associate Director of Business Development will:
- Through a portfolio-based and client-centered approach, engage industry partners to support growth and opportunities at VT, including sponsored programs, contracts, philanthropy, recruiting, sponsorship, and other forms of collaboration.
- Nurture and expand relationships with prospective industry partners, often with senior leaders, serving as the primary point of contact for a portfolio of corporations.
- Work closely with a team in the National Capital Region comprised of faculty, researchers, program managers, and Advancement professionals to engage industry partners, making links between company interests/market needs and university opportunities, research, and students.
- Lend industry, market, and/or technical domain analysis, insight, and experience to identify possible opportunities and value drivers to inform and support cultivation and engagement strategies.
- Develop intelligence around and connections to University faculty and research interests, capabilities, and activities connections, identifying opportunities that have industry/market relevance; organize working sessions, and effectively connect and shepherd the relationships.
- Identify, shape, and solicit corporate opportunities (including philanthropic), through a variety of mechanisms, including organizing working sessions and co-creation activities with members of the faculty and staff.
- Schedule and host corporate visits to campus that reflect the breadth of VT offerings, driving toward tangible opportunities and outcomes.
- Maintain knowledge of technology, research, and recruiting needs of industry, as well as of specific firms.
- Assist in crafting grant applications, proposals, white papers, status reports and corporate report cards.
- Assist in formulating collaboration strategies and opportunities, as well as research contract and gift agreement review and processing.
- Assist in developing marketing initiatives and stewardship programs with corporate partners.
- Serve as liaison to certain University colleges, units, and institutes.
- Bachelor’s degree and demonstrated sales/industry experience; or master’s or other advanced degree.
- Experience in consultative or technical sales/marketing, business development, client management, business/research strategy, and/or innovation/partnerships function.
- Track record of professionalism, with strong communication skills (both written and oral) and ability to work with and support a wide range of constituents, e.g., clients, customers, teams, donors, and volunteers.
- Ability to analyze data (e.g., market, technical, customer) and lend technical expertise to establish priorities, and develop and implement strategies with increasing complexity.
- Evidence as a self-starter who can work independently, as well as be a team contributor in a complex and fast-paced organization.
- Willingness to travel on a frequent basis.
- Technical or industry background, including in engineering, data sciences, cybersecurity, national security, defense, cyber-physical systems, autonomy, information technology, and related domains.
- Evidence of business/revenue growth and/or partnership development in a technical sales/marketing capacity.
- Evidence of productive relationships and facilitation with administrators, key business leaders, faculty, staff, institutional boards, volunteers, and/or donors.
- Previous business development/strategy experience developing progressively complex strategies and using data analytics, technical/domain knowledge and information, and competitive/market intelligence to guide decision making.
Must have an acceptable and safe driving record, Must have a driver's license check Must have a conviction check: Yes Describe Other:
Reports to the Associate Vice President for Innovation and Partnerships.
Regional and national travel required for the purposes of conducting field research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, which may include overnights and weekends. Must have the ability and willingness to travel utilizing standard, commercial, and/or personal modes of transportation.
How to Apply for this Job:
Interested candidates must apply online at www.jobs.vt.edu and search for posting AP0180338. Include with the faculty application, a cover letter, resume, and list of five references. Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodation in the application process please notify the Human Resources Service Center, 540-231-9331, email@example.com. A review of applications will begin after November 15, 2018.
Administrative and Professional Faculty Appointment Type: Regular If restricted or temporary, enter end date: FLSA Status: Exempt: Not eligible for overtime Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track Academic Year or Calendar Year: Calendar Year Percent Employment: Full-time If part time, enter Percent Time: Pay Range: Location: Blacksburg Department: University Development Location, if not Blacksburg: National Capital Region, Arlington Location Zip Code: 22203 Work Schedule: 8-5, M-F + As Needed Job Posting Date: 10/18/2018 Review Begin Date: 11/15/2018 Job Close Date: Restricted to university employees only? No Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.