The Seasonal Operating Room (OR) Technician must have proficient knowledge and skills necessary to carry out delegated duties associated with quality, safe, and efficient operating room support functions and related procedures. The ORT is cross-utilized in specialties throughout the Surgery Department. The Seasonal ORT must be detail-oriented, flexible, able to juggle multiple priorities without missing a beat, adept with technical skills, and team players, and must possess excellent communication skills This position works independently, exercising sound judgment, and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse or surgeon. This position is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions and practices relationship-centered care in accordance with the mission of Forrest General. The Seasonal Operating Room Technician is directly accountable to the Surgery Coordinator and Manager. They accept assignments as made by the Specialty Coordinator and adjusted by the Patient Care Coordinator daily.
tems considered essential functions of the job are listed below.
- The Seasonal ORT will be able to perform independently after meeting the Hospital required orientation and 1-2 shifts with a preceptor in the Main OR.
- The Seasonal ORT will complete an attestation to their ability to perform standard surgery abilities and cases.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Provides for exceptional patient and coworker experiences by following our standards of practice of always using positive language.
- Demonstrates independence and exercises sound judgment in interactions with physicians, interprofessional care team
- Promotes a positive work environment with the OR team.
- Collaborates with all members of the OR team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent information in a comprehensive manner.
- Exhibits open and professional communication
- Participate in the procedure timeout and fire safety timeout for every case
- Teaches coworkers to critically think by verbalizing rationale for decisions and follows up, providing structured feedback with examples.
- Serves as the department preceptor for new surgical technologists utilizing skills and knowledge by helping to train and orient.
- Facilitates teamwork by anticipating the need for assistance and responding positively to requests for assistance.
- Makes contributions to the work effort as a whole.
- Assists in prepping the operating room for the next patient.
- Collaborates in preparing instrumentation, equipment, and supplies for use during the procedure before surgeon scrubs.
- Prepares room, equipment and supplies to accommodate procedures.
- Functions within the sterile field by running the instruments, retracting or assisting the surgeon
- Reports any breaks in a sterile technique immediately
- Maintains and accurately communicates updates for surgeon preference cards within the applicable service line.
- Anticipates the needs of the surgeon and nursing staff by performing competently the role of the OR Technician / Surgical Technician II in a variety of surgical procedures including but not limited to: orthopedics, gynecology, general, ENT, urology, vascular, neurology, oral/maxillofacial, laparoscopic, robotic-assisted laparoscopic, podiatry, plastics, and dental.
- Assists the circulating RN with the sponge, instrument, needle, and other surgical counts.
- Maintains the highest standard of sterile technique.
- Prepares sterile dressings and/or immobilization devices.
- Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization.
- Ensures all instruments are sprayed with enzymatic before leaving the Operating Room
- Assist in housekeeping duties as directed to ensure a safe patient environment and efficient OR turnover.
- Participates in debriefing and quality improvement practices to ensure quality patient care.
- Contributes to the identification of corrective actions and improvement activities towards improving quality and safety targets through peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses, and collaborating with the OR team.
- Organizes time effectively, minimizing incidental overtime and sets priorities.
- Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members.
- Maintains efficient use of surgical supplies and minimizes the opening of supplies until confirmation that will be used during surgery.
- Makes recommendations for cost containment during cases.
- Actively Participates in department projects.
- Serves as preceptor and resource as surgical technology students
- Proactively seeks opportunities to enhance knowledge and learning towards expertise.
- Maintains all HealthStream assignment prior to deadlines
- Participates in all competencies planned for the job role prior to deadlines
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served; also demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements. Performance expectations will be covered in the orientation phase. Demonstrates the aptitude to work in all subspecialties of the Operating Room by both running instruments and/or assisting the surgeon.
- Complies with the Surgical Services policy.
- Follows the policies in the Employee Handbook.
- The spreading of rumors and gossip, creates unnecessary turmoil, weakens working relationships, and is contrary to the spirit and objectives of the hospital and is prohibited.
- Uses “We Care” philosophy daily and communicates using positive language communication.
- Works assigned shift and respond when called upon for additional or emergency services.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related job duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Graduation from a Surgical Technologist accredited program required or grandfathered into the Operating Room Technician position.
- Basic Life Support
Ability to perform as a team member, cooperate with others, follow directions precisely, demonstrate initiative, set priorities, and function under stress.