Chesapeake Hospitality / DoubleTree by Hilton Raleigh Brownstone University is hiring a Human Resources Manager!
This beautiful hotel that is conveniently located in the Raleigh downtown area has 190 rooms, 15,000 ft of meeting space, and offers its employees a results-oriented, diverse, family-oriented and supportive culture.
The Human Resources Manager is responsible for handling all human resource functions for the hotel in accordance with federal and state laws as well as Chesapeake Hospitality's policies and procedures. This position reports to the General Manager. As the HR Manager, you will be tasked with knowing and nurturing employee possibilities and career paths in an effort to make an impact in their lives and help them realize their dreams in and out of work.
The Human Resources Manager is responsible for directing and ensuring the efficient administration and management of the Human Resources department and partnering with the General Manager to provide strategic insight on the utilization, development and management of employees to meet property and business goals. While the Human Resources Manager reports to the hotel General Manager, they secondarily report to the Vice President of Human Resources.
DUTIES & FUNCTIONS
- Manage and oversee the HR function which includes recruiting, training, wage/benefit administration, compliance with statutory requirements and the execution of employee relation activities.
- Provide human resources assistance, guidance and counseling to the General Manager, Executive Committee and line employees in order to maximize the quality and professionalism of the hotel staff by listening and interpreting concerns and objectives and seeking solutions.
- Ensure that employees are trained and utilized to their maximum potential by controlling the implementation, administration and monitoring of hotel, brand and corporate training programs.
- Monitor the employee performance appraisal programs to ensure reviews are timely, comments are appropriate and goals are measurable and achievable.
- Review, appraise and approve all personnel changes and paperwork for merit and accuracy.
- Direct and administer employee relations programs and activities such as employee recognition and service award ceremonies, social functions and general hotel meetings to maintain a positive employee relations climate.
- Partner with executive committee to coach, counsel and discipline employees and hold employees accountable to hotel and company policies.
- Lead the recruiting and onboarding efforts for all hotel positions which includes job posting, interviewing, drug screening, background checks, reference checking, I-9s and new hire orientation. Utilize creative solutions to find candidates.
- Ensure compliance with all State and Federal laws as well as regulations and court rulings which pertain to human resources by reviewing current management practices, implementing new procedures and communicating verbally and in writing any new requirements.
- Work with corporate office to ensure benefits are administered accurately and timely.
- Conduct an annual wage survey and stay abreast of local wages and compensation to ensure hotel is competitive and paying employees equitably.
- Supervise, coordinate and motivate the activities of the department staff.
- Assists in the administration of employee and guest-related risk management including safety programs, workers compensation, general liability etc.
- Manage employee leaves of absences including FMLA.
- Create a culture where our employees, guests and owners can "Experience What's Possible" while driving company profitability and adhering to company policies and employment laws.
- Prepare annual budget forecasts for the Human Resource department by analyzing and estimating past and future costs using moderately complex mathematical calculations.
- Ensures proper management of personnel record-keeping, personnel files, personnel reports and statistics ensuring confidentiality where necessary.
- Compose, type and distribute general Human Resources correspondence, such as those announcing policy revisions.
- Leads employee efforts to support Chesapeake Hospitality's partnership with the charity Give Kids the World; increasing awareness of their mission to help sick children and their families.
- If applicable, manage all labor relations activities by administering union contracts and ensuring compliance. Respond to all grievances in writing, negotiate settlements and act as the hotel representative at all arbitrations.
- Participate in Manager on Duty coverage.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the General Manager or Vice President of Human Resources.
Education & Experience:
- Ability to deal effectively with all employees and employee representatives with patience, tact and diplomacy and be able to diffuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
- Keep up to date with developments and laws in all Human Resources functions. Outstanding organizational and time management skills. Ability to multitask and prioritize and delegate daily workload. Ability to handle sensitive material with the utmost discretion and confidentiality. Must be energetic, a self-starter, and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to work both independently and with a team.
- Ability to read, listen and communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing in order to prepare official memorandum, correspondence and meaningful instructions, guidance and counseling to all employees, hotel leadership and corporate staff in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service oriented manner.
- Must be effective at listening, understanding, and clarifying inquiries made by hotel staff.
- Must be effective in handling problems, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be able to understand and apply complex information, data, etc. from various sources to meet appropriate objectives.
- Thorough knowledge of Human Resources practices and procedures as well as considerable knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to Human Resources matters.
- Ability to type 50 words per minute to prepare correspondence and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to show initiative, including anticipating hotel or operational needs.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience required. Human Resources certification preferred but not required.
- 2+ years of progressive experience in human resources. Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word as well as HR Information Systems.
- This position is a sedentary position that requires 8 hours of sitting at a desk in a climate controlled environment with frequent computer, mouse, 10 key touch and phone work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, move, operate with hands and arms, and lift up to 25 pounds. The employee is regularly required to use hands to operate or feel objects, tools or controls, communicate, distinguish or identify, adjust or focus.
- The position requires close visual acuity to prepare and analyze data and figures.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, resp