Director of Finance & Accounting
NW Natural Water Company LLC (“NW Natural Water”) offers a Director of Finance & Accounting opportunity to interested applicants. NW Natural Water is a wholly-owned subsidiary of NW Natural Holding Company (NYSE: NWN) headquartered in Portland, OR.
Formed in late 2017, NW Natural Water has rapidly grown to become a leading water and wastewater utility in the Pacific Northwest. The Company has closed eight acquisitions to date and has four acquisitions pending. Once all acquisitions have closed, NW Natural Water will serve approximately 62,000 people through 25,000 connections in Oregon,
Washington, Idaho and Texas.
Purpose of Position:
NW Natural Water is seeking a Director of Finance & Accounting to play a crucial role in this rapidly-growing company.
Reporting directly to the NW Natural Water Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Finance & Accounting will oversee the financial planning, budgeting, accounting, and reporting functions for our growing portfolio of water businesses, including ensuring the financial budgets and accounting books and records are complete and accurate and in compliance with US
GAAP and company accounting policies. This position will work closely with and provide direction to the water operating teams, and provide senior management with recommendations regarding potential business process and system improvements and efficiencies across the water platform. The Director of Finance & Accounting will work closely with other NW Natural Holdings accounting teams, various business departments, and executive management.
Position Essential Functions:
- Oversee and participate in the development, analysis and reporting of budgets and financial performance including examining actuals against targets and forecasting performance.
- Provide indirect leadership and support to the various water operating teams on various financial, accounting and budgeting matters.
- Oversee and participate in the development of multi-year planning forecasts for the water businesses and present forecasts to senior management and the NW Natural Water Board of Directors.
- Oversee all accounting processes for water entities, including monthly accounting close processes, consolidation, journal entries and account reconciliations and preparation of financial statements, including the integration of newly acquired entities.
- Work closely with the general and technical accounting teams as necessary to collaborate on accounting issues that could impact multiple areas of the parent company.
- Review financial statements for the water entities to ensure compliance with US GAAP and company accounting policies.
- Deliver monthly reporting package to management, including budget variance analyses and explanations.
- Work closely with regional General Managers and senior management of NW Natural Water to identify, recommend and implement business process improvements and efficiencies.
- Collaborate with the business development, legal, regulatory and other teams in due diligence efforts associated with future potential acquisitions.
- Support acquisition due diligence and purchase accounting processes.
- Support strategic and capital planning processes, including investment decisions, regulatory strategies, and project prioritization.
- Prepare regulatory filings.
- Support rate case requests.
- Coordinate the external audit process.
- Develop and maintain internal control procedures for the Water entities to ensure compliance with the Sarbanes-
- Oversee and evaluate the need for implementing different accounting systems to support the growing water portfolio.
- Must be able to grow with the business including adding members to the team as the business grows.
- Oversee internal and contract resources as required. Provide alternatives and recommendations to management as well as implement action plans for achieving objectives.
- Demonstrate appropriate work ethics, leadership (direct and indirect), drive to do the right things, and decision- making behaviors.
- Maintain accounting knowledge and personal skill development.
- Lead, contribute to, or participate in ad hoc projects as required.
- Support the Company’s commitment to a culture of safe work practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting. CPA/CFA certificates preferred.
- Minimum eight years of applied finance and/or accounting experience. Public accounting experience is preferred.
- Strong knowledge and experience in applying US GAAP and consolidation principles are required.
- Experience leading strategic planning, capital planning and budgeting processes.
- Experience in a utility operation and knowledge of standard utility accounting and public utility reporting and filing requirements are highly desired.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with proven experience improving business processes and systems.
- Experience using a range of general ledger or accounting systems (e.g., QuickBooks and SAP), or other general ledger or financial software system is preferred.
- Experience in leading employees directly or indirectly. Experience in managing employees is preferred.
- Must be an effective individual contributor and be able to delegate effectively as resources become available.
- M&A execution and/or accounting experience preferred.
- Analytical skills are required, including the ability to critically think and apply technical accounting knowledge to business requirements, including understanding the impacts of decisions made.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Requires strong attention to detail while keeping the big picture in mind.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively with limited supervision.
- Requires outstanding ethical standards and values consistent with those of the Company.
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally across an organization and in a team environment.
Reports To: Brody Wilson, Chief Financial Officer, NW Natural Water LLC
Base Salary Range: Min. $110,000, Max. $140,000; Depending on qualifications. This position is also eligible for a bonus incentive opportunity.
Application Process: To be considered for this position click on the apply button.
Applications and resumes will be reviewed upon receipt.
NW Natural Water is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also promote a drug-free work environment.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $110,000.00 to $140,000.00 /year
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off