Movable Bridge Structural Engineer - (155407)
At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
HDR has an exciting opportunity for a Movable Bridge Structural Engineer, to be based out of our Newark, NJ office. Primary duties are coordination, development, and delivery of HDR’s product on movable bridge projects, including design criteria, calculations, contract drawings, specifications, inspections and associated reports. This will require solid technical knowledge base, including applied experience, and local and national codes. Excellent written and spoken communication skills are critical to these duties, as are leading and mentoring junior staff, and managing tasks (and their reviews) to scope, schedule, staffing, and budget.
In this role, we'll count on you to:
- Act as Project Manager, Lead Structural Engineer or Project Engineer on movable bridge design, rehab, and inspection projects, managing scope, schedule, staffing, budget, etc.
- Make key contributions on project pursuits, facilitating the growth of the national movable bridge practice.
- Coordinate tasks among the multidisciplinary project teams to conduct analyses, develop design solutions, and lead the preparation of design drawings, calculations, and specifications for fixed and movable bridge engineering projects.
- Call on past industry experience to apply proven solutions – and work with the team to develop creative solutions when needed – to deliver excellent technical work.
- Perform quality control reviews of bridge design deliverables..
- Provide technical mentorship and development to less-experienced staff.
- Represent HDR at industry society functions.
Senior Structural Engineer, Senior Bridge Engineer, Movable Bridge, job #155407, *LI-MP1
Bachelor's degree in Civil, Structural, or related Engineering discipline
Professional Engineering (PE) License
10 years’ experience in movable bridge engineering
Competence in a majority of the following software products:
Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, AutoCAD Inventor, Revit, Microstation, Larsa 4D Bridge Plus, SAP2000, FB MultiPier, Leap Bridge Enterprise
Experience working in a team environment providing technical direction to a design team on minor and major fixed and/or movable bridge projects
Leadership and mentorship skills
Communication skills and the demonstrated ability to work well in cooperative, team environments
The appropriate attitude of commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must
Master's degree in Civil/Structural Engineering
Professional Engineering (PE) License in the state(s) of NJ and/or NY
Experience pursuing projects in the New Jersey/New York region
Local candidates with local experience are preferred
Significant movable bridge engineering experience
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for; it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.
United States-New Jersey-Newark
Bridges and Structures
Aug 21, 2019