Job Title Temporary Executive Assistant
Department Office of Information Technology
Temporary Temporary Full-Time
Requisition Number T20010
Open Date 11/15/2019
Salary Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. May occasionally be required to extended work hours and be available outside normal working hours.
Benefits Eligible Yes
Eligible for Overtime No
The temporary executive assistant reports to the chief information security officer (CISO) and provides support to the CISO and directors in the Office of Information Technology. Executive support includes managing calendars and coordinating meetings and events, answering phone calls, making travel arrangements, preparing documents, reports, and presentations, as well as assisting with special projects. In addition, the temporary executive assistant provides general administrative support to the departments including distributing office communications, maintaining office supplies, and coordinating the repair and maintenance of equipment.
This is a highly sensitive position requiring extreme tact, sensitivity, and the ability to maintain confidentiality. This position will represent the Information Security Office and Office of Information Technology within all levels of the university and must represent Rice University in a professional manner.
Education Required HS Diploma or equivalent
Substitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
Associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree
Experience Required 2 years
Type of Experience
Experience managing calendars, supporting executive level staff, and managing day-to-day administrative operations.
Substitution for Experience Requirement
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.
Experience in higher education.
- Advanced computer skills and demonstrated proficiency with office software and email applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including editing and proofreading
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of projects
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to perform duties with a high level of professionalism, flexibility, discretion, judgment, diplomacy and tact
- Ability to multi-task, adapt to changing priorities and meet deadlines
- Familiarity with communication and collaboration tools such as Google (Drive, Calendar, Chat, etc), Box, Zoom, WebEx
- Ability to prepare and load material onto websites
- Proficient usage and knowledge of Microsoft Office, database software, e-mail programs, scheduling software, and internet browsers
- Ability to develop procedures and establish schedules that get work done in most efficient manner and in accord with office requirements
- Ability to welcome and assist the members of the Rice community and communicate well with a diverse group of people
- Ability to work well under pressure
Internal / External Contacts
The temporary executive assistant will act as the point of contact for the CISO and OIT directors and for external contacts, including vendors and visitors, on an ongoing basis.
- Must be able to sit and/or work in front of a computer for extended periods of time
- Must be able to move about the campus
- Office environment
- May require overtime and/or weekends to meet deadlines
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.