Under limited supervision, the Assistant Registrar assists and works under the direction of the Registrar to lead, analyze, plan, and implement the operations and administrative requirements for the overall operations of the records office and related matters. Ensures compliance with Family Rights and Privacy Act and all other applicable laws and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Develops and implements systems to maintain student academic records; on-line degree audit reporting system; administers storage, security, accuracy, and preservation of academic credentials in accordance with University policy, accreditation standards, and privacy laws.
• Interprets and enforces academic rules and regulations; monitors academic standing; coordinates probation, suspension, and dean’s lists, as appropriate.
• Manages operational activities of grade process, coordinates academic information for graduation, and degree audit processes.
• Manages the petition processes, responds to inquiries concerning academic performance, and resolves problems regarding the management of student records.
• Manages and maintains all aspects of catalog updates.
• Provides leadership to staff members and in processes affecting organizational and operational functions ensuring compliance with the University, state, and federal laws, policies, procedures, and regulations.
• Ensures the timely audit of graduation applications for completion of degree requirements at the undergraduate levels. Collaborates with colleges, departments, and other academic units to resolve issues related to undergraduate graduation and degree progress.
• Manages and develops reports for purposes of establishing production measures and ensures compliance.
• Manages electronic filing system.
• Participates in development, implementation and maintenance of policies, objectives, short-and long-range planning; develops and implements projects and programs to assist in accomplishment of established goals.
• Represents the organization at various community and/or business meetings, committees, and task forces; promotes existing and new programs and/or policies.
• Develops and implement policies and procedures, and best business practices to ensure efficient and safe operations that improve and maintain customer service and communications with all University constituents.
• Maintains and disseminates updates of academic calendar, and updates system registrations rules accordingly.
• Determines budget recommendations relative to assigned areas of responsibility.
• Provides quality customer service.
• Assists with overall Registrar Office functions as needed.
• Assists with graduation preparations as assigned.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
Baccalaureate degree in any field is required. Minimum of three years of full-time experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. This experience must include at least two years in a supervisory role. A master’s degree in a related field may be substituted for one year of professional experience.
Special Conditions for Eligibility
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of University operational practices, policies and procedures, and the ability to follow them.
• Knowledge of the proper operation of and the ability to use personal computers and job related software, including Microsoft Office Suite and other job specific software.
• Knowledge of budget preparation, monitoring, and administration.
• Knowledge of management practices and principles.
• Knowledge of community resources, referrals, and services.
• Skill in preparing complex research projects and reports.
• Skill in listening to issues, synthesizing information, and reaching sound conclusions.
• Skill in presenting ideas and concepts orally and in writing.
• Skill establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other department staff, faculty, students, and the public.
• Ability to multi-task and organize, prioritize, and follow multiple projects and tasks through to completion with an attention to detail; work independently in meeting various time deadlines.
• Ability to demonstrate excellent written and oral communications skills and have the ability to work with diverse constituencies.
• Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, relate in a professional, helpful manner in person and over the phone; relate to a diverse population and to maintain composure when faced with difficult situations.
• Ability to work independently, prioritize, and manage multiple projects with attention to detail.
• Ability to establish strong relationships and work as part of a team.
• Ability to conduct transfer evaluations, graduation processing and degree audit.
A minimum of two or more years of experience as a lead employee with responsibility for scheduling and assigning work, training new employees and assisting others with problems. Managerial experience in higher education records/registrar environment.
Successful candidates will have the experience and ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions and apply common sense understanding furnished in written, oral, diagram/chart or schedule form.
Successful candidates will demonstrate technical skill with student information systems/databases, including Banner and imaging software, and will possess experience managing multiple projects in a fast paced environment.
Essential functions of this position require: lifting, manual dexterity, ability to communicate.
Work is primarily performed under limited supervision in an office setting with appropriate climate controls. Travel, early morning, evening, and weekend work required frequently.
Work Location/Campus Center
Las Vegas, NM Campus
New Mexico Highlands University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. We are committed to the University values of diversity, accessibility, excellence, and responsiveness.
For disabled access or services call 505-454-3242 or email email@example.com
Visit the link below for more information regarding affirmative action and equal opportunity:
Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
A complete online application must include: 1) Letter of interest/cover letter; 2) Resume; 3) Names, telephone numbers and email address of three (3) professional references in online application, and; 4) copies of unofficial transcripts. Candidates who are invited for on-campus interviews will be required to submit official transcripts. References will be contacted in conjunction with on-campus interview. Upload required materials with online application. For disabled access or services, call (505) 454-3242 or contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org NMHU IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER