The Compliance Specialist will be primarily responsible for the administration, identification and management of employee, physician and Board conflicts of interest (COI) program; and provide additional support with compliance and privacy investigations, including data analysis and reporting. Primary responsibilities:
- Know, understand, incorporate and demonstrate the mission, vision and values of UHHS in behaviors, practices and decisions.
- Utilize a working understanding of compliance issues, including HIPAA Privacy and Security regulations, and conflicts of interest.
- Administer conflicts of interest program, including, but not limited to:
o utilizing COI software package for data management;
o communicating with key stakeholders;
o identifying potential conflicts of interest;
o drafting management plans for review and approval;
o monitoring adherence to management plans.
- Perform detailed COI analysis, tracking and reporting functions on a quarterly basis for reporting to the Audit & Compliance committee of the Board of Directors.
- Review and advise providers and employees regarding gifts from vendors, and vendor sponsored meals or entertainment.
- Support administration of tracking of non-monetary compensation for physicians.
- Review, manage and track requests to engage in outside activities.
- Investigate compliance and privacy issues, analyze findings, make and oversee implementation of appropriate recommendations.
- Ensure adequate monitoring processes are in place so that access, use, and disclosure of protected health information (PHI) complies with legal requirements and UH policies and procedures.
- Perform compliance training and coaching as needed.
- Participate in periodic compliance strategic planning and effectiveness evaluations.
- Participate in other projects as assigned and complete tasks within requested timeframes.
- Interact professionally with employees at all levels, including management.
- Enhance compliance and adherence to UH policies and procedures.
- Identify areas of potential compliance risk and take appropriate measures to resolve that risk.
- Facilitate environment of open communication allowing employees to report compliance concerns, questions or problems without the fear of retaliation.
- Maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive information.
- Performs other departmental duties as needed.
- This role may encounter Protected Health Information (PHI) as part of regular responsibilities. UH employees must abide by all requirements to safely and securely maintain PHI for our patients. Annual training, the UH Code of Conduct and UH policies and procedures are in place to address appropriate use of PHI in the workplace
Experience & Knowledge:Minimum qualifications include:
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in IT, healthcare or related field, preferred.
- At least 1 year of experience in a legal, compliance or related field required.
Special Skills & Equipment Knowledge:
- Excellent interpersonal communication (both written and oral) required.
- Strong analytic, problem solving and process improvement skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to assume responsibility for daily activities and projects without direct supervision required.
- Outgoing and collaborative style that fosters cooperation and involvement required.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with strong attention to detail required.
- Professional and personal integrity; strong value system consistent with the values of UH required.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel required.