Position Title: IT Support Technician ____________________________________________________________
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT DEPARTMENT: Admin.
LOCATION: Tarrant County 911 Office
REPORTS TO: Technical Operations Manager
APPROVED BY: Shinar Haynes, Executive Director DATE: July 2018
The IT Support Technician provides effective, timely and complete Information Technology (IT) support of the internal administrative systems and networks for Tarrant County 9-1-1 District. This person serves as the primary coordinator in the installation and maintenance of internal Information Technology systems and provides support for internal District employees when they experience a technology issue. This person also provides long term planning and research for IT solutions. Additional responsibilities could include working with and directing external contractors and vendors. This individual is available 24/7 for critical technology support and problem resolution of systems. Hours of work must be flexible to accommodate staff availability and project needs.
- Maintain and evolve the internal administrative IT systems including remote sites with minimal disruption of service to employees. This includes all IT systems and technology solutions; servers, workstations, notebooks, basic networking, copiers, HP printers, and all software. Research, acquire, install, configure, update, inventory, and manage all hardware, software, operating systems and applications.
- Install, rack and stack equipment into appropriate facilities and equipment areas. Apply KVM support, cable management, grounding, etc.
- Provide support to District employees to quickly triage and resolve technology issues: server, workstation, or notebook, Email/SPAM, Virus/Malware, Internet access, network access, printing, application issue, or other systems as required to minimize downtime
- Proactively monitor all server event logs and Dell OpenManage Server Administrator, Backup systems, mirror/replication of critical systems, database maintenance, DNS, DHCP, and all other internal network and computer devices. Note current and long term trends of systems and work with vendor if necessary to quickly identify, diagnose, and resolve issues. Emphasis must be placed on mission critical systems and those affecting multiple employees and the determination of trends on the network
- Install and manage wireless hardware devices with public (guest) and private (staff) network configurations.
- Research, acquire, install, configure, maintain, and manage a centralized patch management solution to push Microsoft and 3rd party updates out to systems.
- Manage email systems and provisioning: Microsoft Exchange, security software (anti-virus, spam, and malware), user mailbox management, retention and archiving of emails, and MX record management.
- Manage and maintain audio visual systems in the training facility: projectors, amplifiers, AV switchers, notebook designed and configured for guest users.
- Maintain remote backup site technical support (servers, notebooks, PDUs, phones, etc.)
- Maintain hardware and software inventory for on-boarding new systems, re-purposing systems, decommissioning systems, sanitizing hard drives, auctioning old hardware, and inventory removal.
- Create, maintain and manage documentation of information technology systems to include the Symptom – Diagnosis – Problem identification, and Resolution of issues (network event history log) and change management. Develop and maintain hardware inventory, support contracts and warranty information used to refresh systems and auction systems at end of life. Manage and maintain software and license inventory for compliance and renewal of licenses. Manage and document user access and permission levels. Create, maintain and manage all internal network documentation.
- Research and recommend upgrade paths for currently deployed technology and recommend new technology solutions that will provide more features, improved performance, lower overall costs, while maintaining functional performance requirements. When necessary, work with security administrator.
- Maintain all current systems per vendor recommendations and best practices. Coordinate maintenance with staff to minimize disruption of service. This includes the installation, upgrade, modification, or patching of all hardware, firmware, and software during off hours maintenance windows
- Manage small office mobility usage and devices using Blackberry mobility software Install, configure, and maintain the BlackBerry solution to include software updates, install patches, maintain version control, and troubleshoot issues.
- Setup the VPN client on laptops for staff.
- Be versed in Microsoft SQL.
- Be versed in Microsoft Server and services: : Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Certificate Authority, and Group Policies
- Support hardware build-out and the initial software install and configuration of specialized applications from ESRI and SolarWinds
- Provide assistance and training on systems and software to staff
- Document and grow small VoIP based business telephone system. Manage office speaker phone systems.
- Document and maintain security camera system. Assist users with software interface.
- Work with Technical team to develop training materials and instruction for technical standpoint on all systems changes
- Implement, maintain, and manage data recovery systems including data tape backup and restore, the replication of mission critical data to remote systems, and develop and test the procedures for data recovery and critical server failover. Periodically image workstations and laptops for rapid recovery in case of unrecoverable system crash.
- Remain current with technology and insure infrastructure compliance with all District standards, polices and with all applicable state, local and federal laws and regulations
- Stays abreast of technology changes and upgrades with a clear understanding of the institutional and traditional format of systems. Recommend new technology solutions, acquire quotes of new solutions, and determine best technology solution for the District with the best value. Create, design and implement project plans to support District objectives (GIS, COOP, monitoring, administrative services, etc.)
- Supervises technical support resources as needed and interfaces with vendors coming onsite to resolve issues with their systems/solutions
- Provide budget recommendations to the Technical Operations Manager for technology solutions.
- Assist with team assignments to include field testing, documentation, and training
- Frequent lifting of hardware and equipment in excess of 10 pounds and physical ability to perform installations in varied and confined environments
- Field work and travel between field work locations is necessary
- Other job duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Open to change and new information adapting behavior and work methods in response to new information or unexpected situations warranting attention and resolution.
- Comprehend and evaluate application of new information mastering new technical and business knowledge.
- Instill mutual trust and confidence while fostering high standards of ethics and sense of District responsibility and commitment to public service.
- Participate in discussions with individuals or groups clarifying information as needed to facilitate an open exchange of ideas to solve problems.
- Understand and appropriately apply procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies.
- Identify and analyze problems distinguishing relevant and irrelevant information to make logical recommendations towards solutions regarding individual and organizational problems.
- Must be able to pass a CJIS security background check.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field. Network Administration, MS Windows Administration, LAN management, Project Management skills is necessary.
- 5-10 years experience in the IT related field; 3 or more in primary network administration.
- Industry certifications desirable, CompTIA, Microsoft, etc.
- Experience with the following vendor systems and technology solutions is highly desirable:
- Dell servers, workstations, notebooks and Android mobility devices
- Microsoft Windows Server, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, CA, and Group Policy
- Microsoft Exchange server
- GFI MailEssentials
- Blackberry UEM/BEMS
- Microsoft SQL Server and database maintenance
- Carbonite Double-Take Availability
- Veritas Backup Exec
- Vipre Endpoint Security
- ESRI ArcGIS Server and Desktop
- HP Printers, Sharp copiers
- FortiClient VPN client side setup and support
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $49,000.00 to $73,000.00 /year
- Bachelor Degree: 4 years (Required)
- IT field;: 4 years (Preferred)