We are Crowell & Moring
Founded with a commitment to build a different kind of law firm, Crowell & Moring LLP today is an international law firm representing clients in litigation and arbitration, regulatory and transactional matters. We are internationally recognized for our representation of Fortune 500 companies in high-stakes litigation, as well as our ongoing commitment to pro bono service and diversity. With nearly 550 lawyers based in seven offices in the United States and Europe, the firm helps international corporations and emerging enterprises navigate complex legal challenges and create business solutions across the globe.
The Content Writer (a manager-level position that may be based in any of the firm’s U.S. offices or work remotely) plays an integral role in content generation for the firm’s marketing efforts as a writer, editor, and content strategist. This position reports to the Director, Media, PR & Communications and works closely with the broader Marketing & Communications team to write, edit, and most effectively leverage enterprise-wide content efforts – including print, web, social media, e-communications, and select business development content. The Content Writer plays an important role in creating external and internal messaging that effectively engages stakeholders and supports the firm’s reputation management efforts. The Content Writer is responsible for the creation of a content strategy to brand the firm in a competitive digital marketplace. An ability to produce engaging content across web, print, and other platforms is crucial for success.
- Take a leading role in developing and implementing the firm’s content marketing strategy (i.e., Corporate Journalism), particularly on all firm-owned, client-facing channels (such as crowell.com practice descriptions, homepage stories, blogs, social media channels, press releases, newsletters, brochures, microsites, white papers, and other promotional materials).
- Work closely with the firm’s practice group leaders and department heads, such as in Recruiting, to write and update powerful web content and serve as the primary writer or project manager for all such web materials.
- Interview subject-matter experts to produce engaging content for legal audiences.
- Editorial adviser on multiplatform marketing projects; consults with designer and web strategy team to develop visual and editorial content, such as web features, podcasts, videos, and data visualizations. Examples include SEO, UX, content layering, treatments, story boarding, and scripting.
- Advise on existing and new guidelines and processes to improve and maintain the quality of firm content, including maintaining consistent use for firm’s voice and style to promote brand; maximizing clarity and consistency; minimizing errors in grammar, vocabulary, spelling, and punctuation; and translating technical, legal, and business concepts into copy that is accessible to a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Ensure editorial guidelines are implemented across all firm external channels; help review firm content for risk management, compliance, and editorial concerns.
- Collaborate with the business development team and partners to create materials and provide content strategy.
- Review firm profiles on directories and other third-party websites, such as Chambers, Legal 500, Vault, and Glassdoor, for brand consistency.
- Contribute to award submissions, internal communications, and other projects.
- Compile periodic reports on analytics, activities, and successes.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations, English, Marketing, Journalism, or Communications. Equivalent combination of training and experience may substitute for education.
The position requires a minimum of seven (7) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience during which knowledge, skills and abilities applicable to the position were demonstrated. Experience in law firm media relations/marketing environment or a PR agency, or media newsroom is desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent writing and editing experience is required. Must demonstrate a proven record of content creation and copyediting. Understanding of AP style is required.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate creatively, clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, with attorneys, staff, and vendors. Requires creativity, discretion, and the ability to persuade others.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize a heavy workload in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements.
- Ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts, regarding matters of a complex nature and to build effective relationships.
- Required experience in one or more areas: journalism, public relations/public affairs, digital communications (web, social media, blogging), or internal comms.
- Ability to make presentations to small and/or large groups in an effective manner.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS to produce memos, spreadsheets, slides, and standard work documents.
- Understanding digital customer journeys and developing SEO strategy is desired.
- Understanding of video production in a work environment is a plus.
- Ability to track and analyze analytics for the purpose of demonstrating the effectiveness of communications efforts.
- Ability to work overtime, as needed.
Crowell & Moring LLP offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes progressive options such as back up child care, wellness programs, cultural events and social activities. We take great pride in our positive, friendly culture that rewards hard work and success, at the same time recognizing the importance of family and community service.
Crowell & Moring LLP participates in the E-Verify program.