Reporting to the CMOC International General Counsel, the in-house Counsel will support the company with legal analysis, research and drafting while working in a corporate setting. The position will address issues including corporate governance and compliance (FCPA, UK Bribery Act), contracts, international law, human resources, immigration, mergers and acquisitions, or other practice areas related to international mining operations. This position will contribute with effective negotiation skills, collaborative contribution as part of a team and working with individuals from different backgrounds and functional areas of expertise.
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts relating to sales, logistics and procurement.
- Draft presentations and assist in international ethics and compliance training.
- Provide legal support and advice to the operations and corporate office on legal matters.
- Analyze and identify legal risks and their implications.
- Draft legal memorandum on key issues.
- Draft company policies and ensure the policies and related activities are in compliance with law.
- Remain current in terms of new business laws and regulations applicable to the company in multiple jurisdictions, and apprise management of changes that may impact the company or its operations.
- Manage and coordinate legal work done by outside counsel.
- Provide support to human resources on immigration and other employment matters.
- Provide advice and support on corporate governance and treasury functions for company group.
- Performs other duties as required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ethical Conduct
- Financial Management
- Technical Capacity
- Business Acumen
- Communication Proficiency
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Strategic Thinking
Supervisory Responsibility This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment This job operates in a clerical office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Position is in a busy, non-smoking office located in downtown Phoenix, AZ
- Location requires mobility in an office environment; each floor is accessible by an elevator
- Must be able to frequently sit, stand and walk
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry up to ten (10) pounds
- CMOC International promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable State Laws
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel International travel of up to 20% is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- Juris Doctorate
- Bar certification; with seven (7) to ten (10) years of relevant post-bar professional experience
- Licensed in an appropriate jurisdiction
- Excellent analytical, research and presentation skills
- Experience with legal matters involving mining, safety, environmental compliance, corporate finance, import/export law, corporate litigation
- Demonstrates initiative, organizational skills and ability to work well under pressure
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Must be able to demonstrate company core values of safety, integrity, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, and respect
- Ability to develop and maintain awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience in a corporate setting in mining or related industries is beneficial.
- Experience working in an international setting is highly desirable.
- Ability to speak French, Mandarin and/or Portuguese is a plus.
EEO Statement CMOC International is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other protected basis under federal, state, or local laws, regulations, or ordinances.
Other Duties Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant post-bar professional: 7 years