Spectrum Networks is looking for enthusiastic, talented and driven individuals to join the best and brightest in gathering, producing and delivering news that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment!
Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
JOIN OUR JOURNEY IF…
You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
A Spectrum Networks Engineer maintains all technical facilities, equipment and software applications not overseen by the IT department, for Spectrum News under the direction of the Operations Manager. This includes, but is not limited to: satellite, microwave, fiber optic and MPEG transport, control room switchers, routing, patching, familiarity of IT systems, networking, media workflows and facility HVAC, electrical and security systems. The Engineer ensures that these systems are optimally functioning, maintained, kept up to date and secured in a 24/7 News Network environment. The Engineer must interface closely with systems users to identify and correct problems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains and repairs on-site and remote broadcast equipment: DSNG Live Trucks, Microwave Receive Sites, Satellite Dishes, Equipment Centers, Studios, Control Rooms, Newsrooms.
- Will be required to work regardless of inclement weather.
- Works with operations on remote field productions - setting up, breaking down and troubleshooting cameras, cables and switchers. Establishing and maintaining satellite, microwave, MPEG and/or other transmission links.
- Coordinates repair of equipment with outside vendors.
- Works with all users to determine technical needs and concerns.
- Documents and maintains equipment maintenance history database and generates status reports for both users and supervisor.
- Provides primary vendor interface for troubleshooting complex system issues.
- Resolves software problems beginning at the lowest level (user – tech - vendor).
- Evaluates, researches, and recommends equipment and software acquisitions for the channels and newsrooms.
- Installs and upgrades systems components and software as directed.
- Fabricates cables and small part modifications.
- Maintains equipment center and workshop, spare parts inventory, tools and storage areas.
- Ensures that disaster recovery methods are accurate and accessible (Back-ups.)
- Will troubleshoot equipment and recommend appropriate solutions including vendor repair, in house repair or equipment replacement.
- Will routinely review broadcast equipment, software, work stations and develop and carry out regular maintenance schedule that will reduce damage and loss due to everyday wear and tear.
- Works closely with management and peers to develop proficiency resolving engineering and IT issues.
- Quickly isolate and troubleshoot engineering and IT issues in a demanding work environment.
- Troubleshoot and repair electronics at the component level. Read, interpret and update station drawings, flow charts and cable run lists.
- Develop work around to keep systems running and multi-channel network on air.
- Take direction well and be able to work with vendor support over the phone to resolve issues.
- Flexible to work outside the normal hours as business requires, including a rotating on-call shift with availability 24/7.
- Must be able to lift 75lbs.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum four year degree in Broadcast Engineering, Communication or related field or the equivalent experience required.
- Formal electronics training or equivalent experience preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years broadcast television or related field experience required. Engineering experience preferred.
- General understanding of CAD and systems documentation.
- Familiarity of TCP/IP/SNMP Network topologies, VLANS and Cisco switches and other IT infrastructure preferred.
- General understanding of Microsoft SQL database systems.
- Must have (or able to obtain) a Kentucky driver’s license and a clean driving record.
Spectrum Networks is a growing organization, with 31 Networks across 12 States. Our commitment is to create relevant, timely content essential in the day to day lives of the people who live in the communities we serve. Additionally, our breadth allows us to share relevant content across our nation-wide networks, increasing our opportunity to share timely stories. We truly believe in continually redefining and re-establishing how we engage with our viewers and their local communities. Each Spectrum Networks’ employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude!