- Customer Service
- Supervising Experience
Job Title: Head Night Stocker
As a primary contact for Safeway customers, the Head Night Stocker provides friendly, courteous, and
helpful service. The Head Night Stocker faces merchandise on shelves in a retail grocery store: Opens
cases of merchandise using a company approved box cutter. Places individual items on shelves in the
specified location. Faces items by pulling them forward to edge of display for attractive appearance. Dusts and washes shelves as needed. Checks temperatures in cold cases, coolers, and freezers. Responsible for store security. Maintain all aisles with a clear walkway. May occasionally function as cashier/checker. Bail cardboard and clean floors. Orders grocery using a hand held ordering device. Writes schedule for the department and trains new workers.
Safeway Head Night Stocker employees are generally responsible for completing the following job duties:
1. Provide customer service as currently defined by the employer within the scope of the position and
within company policy.
1. Schedule, supervise, train, and assign duties to night crew employees.
1. Load stock onto six-wheelers, or use pallet jack to move merchandise. Push loaded six-wheeler to
1. Open cases and carry product to display area.
1. Replace stock on shelves. Face and straighten up shelves.
1. Write Grocery order.
1. Operate electronically scanning cash register to total customers' final bill.
1. Receive payment for customer purchase and count back correct change.
1. Bag groceries in plastic, canvas or paper bags. Lift bags into grocery cart. Offer customer assistance
with carry out, and perform that task if a Courtesy Clerk is not available.
1. Responsible for overseeing employee and customer on-site accidents.
1. Maintain cleanliness of store.
1. Other duties as assigned.
JOB RELATED QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Ability to follow company customer service procedures. Demonstrated prior customer service skills or
1. Ability to interact with customers and co-workers.
1. Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
1. Ability to understand and follow instructions.
1. Knowledge of products, product pricing and store layout.
1. Successful completion of company Cahier-Checker training course.
1. Desired: Prior supervisory skills or related experience.
Supervises Night Stockers and Helper Clerk working in department.
Varies depending on store location and state/county requirements.
Safeway, Inc. Seattle Division
SAFEWAY, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Page 2 of 2
Job Title: Head Night Stocker
%Inside: 100% %Outside: Rare
Temperature Extremes: N/A
MACHINES, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT:
six-wheel carts, pallet jacks, big joe, box cutters, power pallet jack, pens, pencils, bailer, floor scrubber
Constant (over 70% of the time)
Constantly lifts 1-10 lbs. Frequently lifts 11-35 lbs. Occasionally lifts 36-50 lbs.
Constantly carries 1-10 lbs. Frequently carries 11-35 lbs. Occasionally carries 36-50 lbs.
Pushing / Pulling:
Constantly pushes/pulls 1-10 lbs. Frequently pushes/pulls 11-20 lbs. Occasionally pushes/pulls
Constant knee to shoulder reaching. Frequent overhead reaching and at or above shoulder level
Constant standing while on job. Sitting allowed on breaks.
Constant walking while on job.
Seldom climbing/balancing on ladders and step stools to reach product on top shelves in backroom.
Frequent neck rotation, bending/stooping, twisting, crouching, squatting, and kneeling. Occasional
bending of head.
Constant handling/grasping. Frequent repetitive motion. Occasional forceful gripping and fine finger
Depth perception used to move loaded carts through aisles. Near vision used to read instructions and
examine aisles for facing and to place stock.
To receive instructions and information from other employees and interact with customers.
To provide information to other employees and interact with customers.
Safeway will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities who can meet
overall job requirements.