McKee Risk Management has been committed to delivering specialized underwriting, claims and risk control to select groups of insureds through our established agents since 1999. As a Commercial Insurance Program Administrator we recognize the importance of strong and deep relationships with both the carriers with whom we are aligned, our agents, brokers and one another. Our relationship-driven model provides a stable base for our business platform and enhances our ability to quickly and efficiently meet and exceed the expectations of carriers, agents, and insureds. It is the contribution that our staff makes that allow us to provide the finest-quality services to our agents and insureds.
Hiring exceptional staff is the key to meeting and exceeding our business goals. Hiring the right staff also allows McKee to continue to offer our exceptional work environment, excellent employee benefits, rewarding carrier paths and a healthy and fulfilling work-life balance. We strive to provide every employee with the opportunity to grow physically, mentally and financially while working for McKee.
position summary: Risk control consultant – construction SPECIALIST
We currently have an opportunity for a Risk Control Construction Specialist to join the Risk Control Services Department. Candidate will assist in the profitable growth of our underwriting units, while providing risk control oversight and management of our Construction related general liability, commercial automobile and workers compensation direct insureds (in-slip) as well as brokered clients (out of slip).
- In conjunction with underwriter and claims, serves as a point of contact and liaison for services related to risk control, general concerns and issues related to highly complex accounts or group of accounts.
- Maintains and leverages strong relationships with clients. Listens to, identifies and understands their needs and recommends services / resolutions to meet their needs.
- Facilitates meetings with client personnel, including client leadership, to implement services while establishing relationships, in order to attract and retain profitable business.
- Ensures implementation of services delivered on time, meeting client requirements in terms of schedule, and opportunity; and budget when required.
- Builds client satisfaction and confidence by regularly advising client personnel and leadership on risk assessments, recommendations, and trends for the business industry and / or other available company services.
- Maintains specialized knowledge regarding assigned Programs and specialty lines of business including general liability, auto liability, workers compensation and property/inland marine.
- Partners with all areas of the business to address account issues and ensure service needs are being met (i.e. Agent/Broker, Carrier, Underwriting, Claims, Marketing, etc.) Frequently acts as a liaison with other departments and facilitates interdepartmental communication to address client questions.
- Has accountability to conduct timely site survey reports, specialized risk assessments, high-level service activities as well as stewardship related kick-off meetings, mid-term meetings, and pre-renewal meetings for assigned accounts and business unit(s), following all company and carrier guidelines and standards, and those made by members of the team/unit.
- Responsible for completing timely new business and renewal surveys and risk assessments initiated by the underwriting department.
- Provides Department Heads and underwriters with an accurate description of the physical and operational details of an insured.
- Identifies hazards and potential loss exposures and makes recommendations to eliminate or reduce the potential loss.
- Consults with underwriters and other staff regarding account operations / line-of-business acceptability, exposures and controls pertinent to the various lines of business.
- May perform loss analysis to identify causes/trends.
- Assists in the implementation and planning of Stewardship Meetings which may be required for highly complex, high margin accounts or groups of accounts.
- Employs effective sales, presentation and communication skills to provide safety and/or supervisory training to insureds.
- Conducts joint marketing presentations, in conjunction with Underwriting, Claims and Marketing, to accounts and agents.
- Provides technical guidance, assistance and training to lower level positions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Construction safety and/or risk management experience & knowledge within the following contracting segments; Street & Road, Underground Utility, Commercial Building GC, and Mechanical HVAC as well as the heavy fleet exposure associated with these segments.
- Working knowledge of critical construction risk management principles and methods including:
- New York Labor Laws
- Contracts, Subcontractor prequalification and management, and contractual risk transfer techniques and methods.
- OSHA Construction Safety Standards
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations
- 8+ years of risk control/loss prevention, construction safety and or risk management experience.
- Prior experience completing jobsite level safety audits and risk assessments.
- Position requires routine travel throughout New York State (to exclude the 5 Boroughs) and the northern tier of New Jersey as well as the occasional travel to key accounts and brokers located throughout the U.S. Approximately 85% of the time will be associated with field oriented activities and travel.
- The position will be working remotely, therefore, requires that the individual can work independently without the direct oversight of management.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and client services skills, ability to develop effective working relationships with staff and industry colleagues.
- Prefer certifications such as: Certified Safety Professional (CSP); Construction Health and Safety Technician (CHST) from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals, Associates in Risk Management (ARM); Construction Risk and Insurance Specialist (CRIS).
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
Field of Study: Safety, Engineering, Mathematics or a related discipline.
Exposure to Excess Noise (Occasionally) Exposure to Dirt, Dust, Fumes, Smoke, Gases, or Other Irritating Substances (Occasionally) Exposure to Variable Weather Conditions (Frequently) Operate or work around moving machinery (Frequently) Travel (Varies with Territory Geography)
Operates standard office equipment (Frequently) Sitting (can stand at will) (Frequently) Standing (Frequently) Climb ladders and stairs and transition to access building roof areas and multi-story buildings. (Frequently) Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key (Frequently) Driving (Frequently) Lifting items up to (enter weight) (Occasionally) Walking on surfaces that are uneven, wet, icy, and somewhat unstable. (Frequently) Climbing unprotected heights (ladder, rooftop, stairs, loading dock) (Frequently)
Job Type: Full-time
- New York Labor Law: 1 year (Required)
- Risk Control, Construction Safety and/or Risk Management: 5 years (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
Work Location: On the road