Looking for new work opportunities at the University?
UTemp Staffing could be the answer you’re seeking, even if you’ve never considered temporary employment before. UTemp is a great way for you to explore the University environment, contribute your talents, and help us make a difference!
- Seeking permanent job opportunities? – Working as a UTemp Staffing employee provides a great opportunity to gain exposure to the University and its culture while you are waiting to hear back on other, longer-term positions to which you’ve applied.
- New to the area? – Temporary work is an excellent way to get acquainted with one of Washington’s largest employers and to learn more about what this institution has to offer.
- Looking to earn some additional income? – Working through UTemp is a good way to keep your skills sharp, add new experience to your repertoire, and earn some extra money if you’re freelance, self-employed, or retired.
What is UTemp?
UTemp Staffing provides temporary employment services to departments in need of contingent staffing throughout the entire University of Washington (UW) community. The job opportunities we present to our temp candidates are determined by the current needs of University departments and vary from week to week. Job opportunities span a range of categories, frequently including administrative, clerical, skilled and unskilled labor. Duration of assignments span a single day up to six months.
Don’t assume your qualifications aren’t a good fit—our positions range from entry-level to professional, from trades or light industrial work to administrative support and management.
Due to the immediate and temporary nature of UTemp Staffing assignments, please apply only if you are presently in the market for work at one of our Seattle or greater metro area locations. Also, if you are currently employed full-time, our opportunities may not be the best fit for you, as we seek individuals who are currently available to work part-time to full-time and available to start at a moment’s notice.
- Career Building – A temporary position with UTemp Staffing may afford you with valuable UW experience to add to your resume, and perhaps even help to make you even more competitive for openings.
- Benefits – UTemp employment comes with many of the perks and benefits that UW offers; check out our website for specifics. Although our positions are generally not eligible for health and retirement benefits; some of our temp employees may become benefits-eligible depending on the nature and length of the opportunity. In addition, new in 2018, our temp employees are eligible for sick leave benefits.
- Flexibility – The flexibility and diversity of work assignments will help you learn new skills, systems or processes, and broadening your knowledge and experience. Working only part of a year may also afford you extended time off to travel or pursue other interests.
- Multiple locations – UTemp facilitates opportunities for temps across all three campuses (Seattle, Bothell and Tacoma), as well as UW Medicine (which includes UW Medical Center, Harborview, and other affiliated medical centers and clinics).
- Varied durations and shifts – Length of assignments range from as short as half-a-day to several months. Most opportunities are day shift, although sometimes there are positions for which we need staff for weekend or evening shifts.
- Financial – Wages are determined by the nature of the work being performed and commensurate based on experience, and paydays are twice a month.
The University of Washington is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational institutions. The Chronicle of Higher Education has continually recognized UW as a “Great College to Work For”. Our employees are valued as an important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service.
As a temporary employee you will support the University’s mission by providing essential services to students, patients, faculty and our local community. Gaining knowledge, skills and experience, combined with networking and making positive connections here at the UW, can make you a competitive candidate and potentially lead you into a new career.
- Possession of documentation showing your eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Successful completion of references and background checks (if required for the specific position)
- If you are placed on an assignment, you will be required to read and understand UTemp’s orientation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should my resume be one page? Our applicant tracking system does not have page parameters. We recommend creating a comprehensive resume highlighting all of your education, skills, experience and qualifications.
What happens after I apply? Your application will always remain as “Applied/In Review”. If our Staffing Specialists identify skills and experience on your resume that match current job requests, we may contact you to find out more about your interests and availability. If you possess competencies we are looking for, you will be invited to our office to interview in person. In addition to successful completion of an interview, we also require satisfactory references and background checks (if required for the specific position) prior to moving forward with job placement.
How long until I hear from someone? Our Staffing Specialists are continually recruiting from this candidate bank. Length of time until contact will depend on how closely your skills and experience align with the job orders we are currently receiving. Due to the high number of applications we receive, we are not able to contact every applicant.
How will I be contacted? UTemp may contact you by phone or email. Please keep your contact information current to avoid missed opportunities. You can edit your contact information on the “Edit My Profile” tab of your UWHires profile, but make sure your current contact information is up-to-date on the resume portion of your job profile as well.
Where do available UTemp jobs get posted? Due to the immediate nature of job requests that we receive from departments, UTemp does not post specific positions. If you are brought into our temp pool, you will be contacted about jobs that match your skills and experience. Specific temporary jobs that are posted on the UW Jobs website are not filled by UTemp. To be considered for any other publically posted job opportunity at the UW, you must apply to those jobs directly.
Do you have temp-to-perm opportunities? No, but you may continue applying to permanent jobs while you are a UTemp employee. Working as a UTemp employee can enhance your skillset and make you a more competitive candidate for UW jobs than someone who has not worked at the University of Washington.
Who should I contact with questions? You may email our department at email@example.com.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or firstname.lastname@example.org.