Accountable for optimizing the pathologist’s efficiency in the daily sign-out of cases and providing assistance to the histology staff.
Essential Key Responsibilities:
- Organizes paperwork and verifies all cut slides. Distributes all cases to pathologist in a timely manner.
- Responds to stainer and coverslipper as needed, to limit cutting histologist from leaving workstation.
- Notes special requests to ensure cases are distributed with all necessary information. Any cases on hold will be addressed and resolved.
- Pulls previous slides as requested on cases for Pathologist to correlate diagnoses.
- Ensures accuracy of patient requisitions and slides.
- Completes and verifies special stain requests.
- Acts as liaison between Pathologists and other areas by intercepting and prioritizing problems and issues.
- Assist with scraping blocks to be cut by histologist, and also cleaning blocks off cold plate.
- Accounts for blocks that are scraped off using the daily log.
- Changes stainer and processors as needed.
- Maintains all relevant maintenance logs.
- Helps with photomicrography if needed and files slides and blocks.
- Prepares bulk reagents for immunoperoxidase stainer.
- Receive and properly store inventory and stock supplies and submit packing slips to Accounts Payable department.
- Assist other departments with help if needed.
- Accessions specimens for grossing
- Assist pathologist with frozen sections.
- Keeps company integrity by maintaining security and confidentiality of all data, procedures and data system components.
Associate Degree in related field or equivalent work experience.
3 years related experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Communication/Customer Service skills – written & verbal
- Administrative and Organizational skills
- Analytical Ability
- PC Skills
- Team Participation skills
- Typing/Data Entry skills
- Time Management skills
- Medical Terminology
Environmental Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Office/Laboratory work environment with exposure to various chemicals and equipment. Prolonged sitting, frequent walking, standing, bending, stooping and lifting up to twenty five (25) pounds. Safety equipment and personal protective equipment provided and required. Requires normal range of hearing and manual dexterity sufficient to operate office and laboratory equipment.
HIPAA Security Level:
All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of education, knowledge, skills and/or experience necessary to proficiently perform the job. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodations.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $27,000.00 to $35,000.00 /year
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Employee discounts
- Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Other types of insurance