Administrative Analyst/Specialist - Exempt I
$3,897/month - $6846/month
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Administrative and Conference Services, the Conference Services Coordinator administers the Conference Housing
Program, a comprehensive program providing summer and academic year student, conference group and guest housing services for approximately 5,000 to 7,500 individuals annually. The Conference Coordinator is a liaison to campus service providers and client groups and assists with marketing and management of Conference Services. Working under general supervision, the Coordinator also oversees the UHS Space Reservation process and guides the work of the Administrative Services Coordinator.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinates and implements day-to-day operations of the academic year and summer Conference Housing Program to include guest housing and conference groups.
- Negotiates contracts and schedules, use of guest rooms, meeting spaces and other housing facilities for 40 to 60 summer programs and academic year groups. Collaborates with representatives of each conference group to identify event and guest needs, develop plans, and determine services required.
- Serves as contact person for inquiries, requests and reservations from campus and outside communities regarding academic year and summer conference housing services. Maintains collaborative relationship with campus departments to facilitate requested services (including Dining and Classroom space, athletic fields, Aquatic Center and Student Union).
- Works directly with multiple UHS units (Facilities Operations, Administrative & Financial Operations, and Residential Life) to fulfill contract requirements.
- Provides crisis intervention by utilizing training to provide crisis response to campus housing students and guests, which can range from making a referral to intervening in a life-threatening situation.
- Develops appropriate logistics, resources and budgets needed to deliver contracted services.
- Exercises considerable autonomy during the Summer Conference months to address problems that arise with conference groups and individual guests.
- Administers the check in and check out procedures for academic year and summer guests. Executes delivery of contracted services through the Summer Conference season, being present for group arrivals and departures as necessary.
- Follows up with conference groups regarding billing statements and ensures payments are received and accounts are up to date.
- Remains accessible and able to respond appropriately, in person or otherwise, to urgent or emergency situations that arise on weekdays, weekends, holidays and after business hours.
- Develops policies, procedures and regulations for the Conference Housing program in coordination with the Conference Review Team.
- Assists with recruitment, selection, training and supervision of student staff positions (13-21 conference student assistants; 3 student conference lead positions; 2- 4 summer interns; and 2 administrative student assistants).
- Reviews methods of training annually in order to prepare staff most effectively.
- Develops and updates staff manual for all conference assistants, lead positions, interns and administrative assistants.
- Independently develops and implements a conference marketing plan.
- Pursues prospects on a community, state, regional, national and international levels to increase conference business; develops proposals and bids for securing conferences, camps and events.
- Devises marketing strategies targeted at campus community and initiates communications.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with key campus service providers and business and civic organizations.
- Identifies prospective clients, prepares marketing sales proposals to meet their needs, and aggressively pursue these prospective clients in order to secure their business; including site visits and cold calling.
- Solely responsible for preparing, developing, updating and maintaining the conference brochures and materials.
- Independently updates and maintains the conference section of the University Housing Services website.
- Creates and maintains partnership with Hospitality, Recreation and Tourism Management Department on campus to attract clients and staff (internships).
- Develops and implements survey tools to assess and evaluate overall program effectiveness and customer satisfaction with assistance from the Organization and Planning staff.
- Meets with conference group directors to evaluate group stay, needs and services.
- Ensures that conference group attendees and individual guests fill out and return guest comment cards. Utilizes to assess and evaluate guest services.
- Assesses program in order to keep up with current trends and practices in Conference Housing.
- Implements changes with support of Conference Review Team and Assistant Director of Administrative and Conference
- Services based on assessment and evaluation data.
- Coordinates, instructs, guides and checks and corrects the work of one full time professional staff member, 2-4 summer interns, and up to 25 student assistants in functional unit in order to maintain levels of productivity and quantity.
- Serves as the work lead evaluator for one full-time professional staff member.
- Makes recommendations when situations arise where there is no precedent or standard method of performing the work.
- Provides input to performance reviews and operational issues.
- Assists with providing oversight of the day-to-day mailroom operations, supervision of staff and delivery of services
- Collaborates with and provides direction and support to the Administrative Services Coordinator in overseeing the student mailroom.
- Assists with responding to inquiries involving mail delivery concerns
- Assists with developing, maintaining and proposing changes to mailroom protocol and procedures.
- Attends UHS department area staff meetings, and training sessions
- Collaborates with Facilities area to support the Administrative Services Coordinator in executing duties with access cards and keys.
- Collaborates with Administrative area to support the Administrative Services Coordinator in overseeing the student mailroom.
- Participates on department and university committees, and in regional, state or national organizations related to the administration of a comprehensive conference services program.
- Participates on division and University committees and task forces as may be assigned.
- Represents the department interests when issues arise with any on-campus department or office.
- Performs other duties in support of the University as assigned by the Director or the President or his/her designee.
A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and two years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Experience with conference or event planning, and/or hospitality management
- Experience supervising professional or student staff
- Experience working with conference housing and/or overnight guest housing services
- Experience in an educational and/or residential setting
- Customer Service experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to understand, interpret, and apply policies and regulations in specific situations to analyze and solve organizational and operational problems related to a comprehensive program.
- Thorough knowledge of methods, procedures and practices, for providing high quality customer service and ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Thorough knowledge of policies, procedures, regulations and best practices pertaining to the organizing and administration of conference events.
- Ability to take initiative and independently plan, organize, coordinate, and perform work in various situations where numerous and diverse demands are involved.
- Ability to multi-task and support the "One Stop Shop" model of Higher Education Customer Service.
- Ability to be flexible, embrace change, and manage frequent interruptions.
- Ability to create, organize and carry out detailed plans.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to exercise appropriate judgment and perform duties and responsibilities in the absence of close supervision.
- Ability to support and monitor program budget allocations, and prepare appropriate reports.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to collect and evaluate data, draw valid conclusions, and project consequences of various alternative courses of action.
- Ability to provide work direction.
- Knowledge of software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, database management and the Internet.
- Excellent oral and written communication as well as presentation skills.
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and business reports using appropriate English grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Ability to clearly answer questions and explain procedures and policies to students and the public in an efficient and courteous manner; apply judgment, discretion and initiative in performing a variety of tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to handle a high degree of customer contact surrounding potentially emotional/controversial issues and deal with conflict while maintaining a sense of perspective and professionalism.
- Ability to respond to an emergency situation.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications for students, staff, and external agencies.
July 19, 2018
Application Screening begins August 4, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes:
criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046