POSITION: Front Office Leader
DEPARTMENT: Front Office
REPORTS TO: Office Manager
Job Summary: This individual is responsible for overview and supervision of day-to-day patient check-in and check-out functions, patient education, collection of fees, and supervision of the front office staff including training.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years of college preferred.
- Demonstrable skills in motivating and training professional staff.
- Two years’ experience in supervision of front office operations preferred.
- Experience with practice management and electronic medical record software systems preferred.
- Experience in a medical office preferred.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to supervise day-to-day aspects of the front office, share knowledge, coach, and develop staff.
- Knowledge of front office and clinical functions.
- Strong customer service, negotiation, and analytical problem-solving skills.
- Strong professional, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
- Empathetic to patients’ concerns and needs.
- Sound verbal and written communication, and organization skills with attention to detail.
- Strong leadership skills who serves as a role model, drives for excellence, fosters a respectful team and patient environment, and demonstrates decision making skills to triage complicated situations to leadership as appropriate.
- Positively navigates a fast-paced environment and remains calm under pressure.
- Ability to follow instructions and conform to office protocol.
- Management of multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Computer literacy.
- Financial knowledge.
- Basic medical and ophthalmic terminology knowledge preferred.
- Train staff in front office responsibilities.
- Patient Experience
- First point of contact for front office patient issues.
- Monitor and optimize waiting room and patient flow by coordinating with clinic to ensure smooth flow and efficiency.
- Foster exceptional customer service.
- Triage complicated patients and situations from staff.
- Partner with leadership for resolution of patient issues.
- Supervise and delegate day-to-day aspects of the front office and set front office schedule.
- Oversee patient schedule.
- Front office equipment management and order inventory.
- Improve accuracy of patient demographics, insurance, notes, billing, check-in and check-out information documented per protocols.
- Open communication and feedback with office leaders to address concerns/issues.
- Schedule/reschedule patient appointments and manage the recall process.
- Monitor and propose solutions to scheduling challenges and reporting of no-shows, work-ins, and cancellations.
- Maintain and increase front office operations, practice management and electronic medical record software systems subject matter expertise.
- Provide staff backup for check-in and check-out functions.
- Knowledgeable to assist surgical coordinator in scheduling surgeries.
- Audit and maintain cash drawers.
- Audit and improve co-pays/deductibles not collected at check-in, collection of past due patient balances at visits, coinsurance collected at check-out, and appropriate business entity location when collecting payments.
- Chart prep and medical records backup.
- Deliver daily batch report, integrated credit card report, and end of day paperwork.
- Document patient communication with MDI/call sheets/Nextech notes.
- Monitor MDI notifications for your office with internal communications, secure messages, patient communications, and pending letters.
- Enforce and monitor HIPAA compliance.
- Monitor waiting room and related facilities.
- Oversee end of day checklist, ensuring staff completes closing tasks.
- Attend, document, and disseminate training information for others’ benefit.
- Implement and monitor promotions and coupons.
- Maintain and implement current protocol, policy, and procedure manuals.
- Maintain current role summary, tasks, and deliverables.
- Performance Management
- Provide timely guidance and knowledge to staff for continual coaching and development through huddles, meetings, and one-on-one opportunities.
- Establish a high-performing team that is efficient, knowledgeable, service-oriented, sharing responsibility for attaining the goals of the practice.
- Effectively communicates departmental activities to staff.
- Notify staff of physician schedule, changes, new procedures, treatments, and services.
- Review and process all front office staff time off requests per protocol.
- Assess and document staff job performance and partner with leadership and Human Resources in disciplinary forms and actions, and annual performance reviews for staff.
- Assess and improve paperwork, waiting room, and checkout times and performance using Nextech, MDI, and time studies.
- Monitor and report front office performance metrics.
- Identify training and continuous improvement opportunities and partner with other areas to provide training and development.
- Provide leadership, guidance, expertise, recognition, feedback, and development to front office staff.
- Monitor staff expectations.
- Ensure staffing levels and flexibility with depth and breadth of staff cross trained in check-in and check-out.
Job Type: Full-time