Full Job Description
The primary purpose of the Research Assistant II is to coordinate and conduct experiments and carry out research projects in varied areas of chemistry, biology, physics and other biomedical or related basic science areas. Construct, assemble and operate laboratory apparatus and equipment. Read literature and confer with superiors regarding new procedures and modify them according to the needs of the project. Records and evaluates data obtained in accordance with methods requested.
1. Depending on interest and lab needs, may perform and be trained in any of the following techniques: human tissue culture; basic and original immunology experiments, immunofluorescence staining and fluorescence microscopy, Flow cytometry, basic molecular biology and biochemistry techniques (RNA, DNA and protein) including Western blotting and PCR; mice tumor growth and treatment experiments, mice colony handling and related tasks.
2. Willing to learn and perform basic and advanced molecular techniques.
3. Must have measurable experience in molecular and cellular biology techniques, be able to accurately pipet, follow protocols and perform accurate calculations as needed for the conduct of the work.
4. Must maintain accurate, detailed records and experimental data and protocols,
5. Communicates and summarize results for presentations, peer reviewed publications and internal communications.
6. Performs common lab routine maintenance as needed.
7. Other duties as required.
Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences. Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree. It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 135928
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Work Week: Days
Fund Type: Soft
Pivotal Position: Yes
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 36,000
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 44,500
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 54,000
Science Jobs: No