The Human Development Report Office (HDRO) is responsible for the preparation, production and publication of the Global Human Development Report (HDR) – the UNDP’s annual flagship report. A Research Team, a Statistical Team and a production Manager jointly accomplish these tasks under the direct guidance and supervision of the Director, HDRO and the lead author of the Report. The core teams are supported in its research, analysis, data and statistics though commissioned background papers, think pieces, consultations with internal (UNDP units) and external partners
Under the guidance of the HDRO Director and the day to day direct supervision as delegated by the Director to a member of the Research Team, the Administrative Associate will support the Research and the Statistical Teams and the Production Managers in accomplishing the relevant work plans and in producing the Global HDRs and other products.
Duties and Responsibilities
In undertaking the exercise, the staff member will undertake the following tasks:
(40%) Provides Support to the substantive work of HDR Research and Statistical Teams focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Smooth liaising with relevant partners to solicit their input to the HDR under preparation through drafting and sending invitations to participants (heads of bureaux, RCs, Executive Office), timely documents circulation and follow up to enable timely feedback; supports the convening of internal consultations and seminars.
- Smooth liaising with external partners contributing to the HDR through substantive support to the logistical planning and preparation of consultations, seminars and other organized by the Research and Statistical Teams. This entails in particular being the focal point for the logistic arrangements of the meetings (New York and elsewhere). Drafting basic correspondence and sending invitations, follow up with invitees regarding their participation, including travel arrangements (see also below), identifying and reserving appropriate venue, arranging catering, technical support for presentations, etc.
- Smooth logistical support to other events organized for the preparation and be the focal point for the logistic arrangements of occasional seminars and brainstorms, such as interagency consultations; special expert meetings, workshops or in-house meetings organized throughout the year.
- Appropriately formatted external correspondence, including letters, invitations, etc.; preparation of documentation including through basic lay-out and photocopying.
(10%) Provides Administrative Support for the Research and the Statistical Teams focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Appropriate and timely travel arrangements for the team, including through coordination with other travel partners from the internal or external environment. Prepares travel authorizations and other travel-related documents;
- Up-to-date G-4 visas, Laisser-Passers, Ground Passes, etc. by monitoring their expiry date and taking timely action
- (As per above) appropriate travel arrangements for invited external participants to meetings and events – as well as other team-selected contributing researchers, designers and other contractors, as instructed, in consultation with HDRO Operations unit, Travel Section and Ultramar/travel agent; initiate follow-up action to expedite such travel or troubleshoot any problems;
- Fully-up-to date filing systems for correspondence and other documents handled or addressed to the team;
- Timely purchases and logging of academic literature requested by the Director or Research Team,
- Drafting or redirects correspondence and enquires addressed to the team;
- Timely review and prioritize all incoming correspondence, e-mail and phone messages for the Senior Policy Advisor and initiate appropriate actions to be taken;
- Acting as an office assets focal point;
- Timely follows up on routine actions and deadlines of activities involving the team input;
(10%) Supports substantively the procurement processes for the team through the following activities in the UNDP Online Administrative System (ATLAS):
- Preparation of requisition plan for the unit;
- Preparation of requisitions and Purchase Orders (PO) in Atlas;
- Creation in Atlas of vendor set-up information; Buyers profile;
- Support to team members in preparing submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP);
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase Orders are duly prepared and dispatched, as well as timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems;
- Liaising with team members and follow up on contracts for consultants and vendors in collaboration with supervisors and help ensure timely payment;
- Review and ascertain whether procurement documentation is in conformity with project objectives, fund availability and in line with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Support the unit in preparing long lists of consultants and interns for selection by supervisor and compile supporting documents, and
(15%) Provides ATLAS support focusing on achievement of the following results:
- As appropriate, preparation of donor financial reports based on regular monitoring of donor contributions in ATLAS and prepare financial reporting;
- Smooth and timely liaising with the Operations Manager on the monitoring of the project delivery, keeping track of all consultants and vendors and keeping the Director informed on potential problems;
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for projects;
- Maintenance of the proper filing system for finance records and documents;
- Provision of the information for the audit;
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas for projects, register of goods receipt in Atlas, and preparing supporting documents of funds and activities.
- Making budget check for requisitions and POs.
- Appropriate administrative support that the team may need including when the Director is absent;
- Use of 5% official work time for self-learning (with priority to UNDP mandatory courses).
(15%) Focal point for the distribution of Human Development Reports and related products
- Liaise with the HDR print/distribution vendor and handle the distribution of HDRs to UNDP Country Offices (CO), launch events and other target audiences:
Ensure timely shipment of publications and orders, monitor shipment status, and resolve shipping or customs-related problems in a timely manner
Assist UNDP CO's with placing orders and provide guidance
Ensure that the distribution vendor follows HDR distribution best practices
Receive and monitor daily distribution reports
- Maintain all distribution related databases and lists, input data, clean up entries, and share with the HDRO management for clearance
- Handle the distribution to local target audiences
- Manage the HDR Distribution site:
Monitor the site, track and record any problems and communicate with the web analyst and production/web manager for prompt resolution
Ensure all payments were received before marking orders for processing/fulfillment
Ensure all information on the site is up to date
Maintain the inventory of HDR products. Prepare and submit quarterly Inventory Reporting of HDRO publications to the Office of Financial Resource Management (OFRM), BoM
(10%) Support HDR Production and Web
- Report to the HDR Production/Web manager on distribution, production budget, invoices and other issues
- Create vendor profiles, PO’s, prepare supporting documentation and ensure completion for vouchers/payments
- Ensure that all invoices using the corporate credit card are received and sent on a monthly basis to Operations
- Escalate any unresolved distribution- or production-related issues to the production/web manager
- Prepare travel arrangements as needed
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through collaboration;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others (Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member), and
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning, and
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Maintains effective client relationships
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients, and
- Responds to client needs promptly.
Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches, and
- Responds positively to new approaches.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Business Administration, Accounting and Finance. University Degree in Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years of experience in administrative or programme assistant experience is required at the national or international level.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.) as well as in-depth knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Experience in supporting project management in terms of the planning and implementation of projects, managing budgets and other related data, and reporting.
- Good knowledge of UNDP policies and practices is an advantage
- Fluency in English and other UN languages is an asset.