The San Diego Metropolitan Transit System is looking for a professional and self - directed, Systems Administrator, to provide technical support to the Information Technology team. MTS employees thrive on "helping people every day" through the various business functions that help San Designs get to where they need to go.
The Information Technology department consists of 28 people dedicated to providing excellent customer service to both our internal and external customers. The Information Technology Team consists of four areas of concentration: Network Operations, Datacenter Operations, Applications Development and Support, and Enterprise Business Solutions. The Systems Administrator will reside in the Datacenter Operations Unit, which consists of 4 Systems Administrators and a Manager.
- thrive on "helping people everyday"
- share our commitment to customer service and
- want to have fun!
...come join our team!
Under the direction of the Datacenter Operations Manager, the Systems Administrator provides technical support to all Information Technology (IT) datacenter functions including Server, Microsoft Active Directory, Enterprise Messaging, SAN, and Backup Infrastructure among others. This includes, but is not limited to, the design, installation and documentation of Microsoft Active Directory, SAN, Servers, Exchange and Enterprise Backup and Replication and is responsible for ensuring system integrity through routine preventative maintenance.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience developing and executing processes and procedures in order to ensure maximum uptime for the organization and will have a solid understanding of both the datacenter environment itself and the equipment that is utilized including servers, storage, event monitoring, systems management, large blade server implementations running VMware, Change Management, disk and tape library based backups. Other essential duties and responsibilities of the Systems Administrator position include, but are not limited to, the following:
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Duties May Include, But Are Not Limited To, The Following:
- Maintains, updates, plans and installs servers and application software.
- Monitors and maintains the hardware and software for the datacenter infrastructure.
- Monitors and maintains the hardware and software for domain operations.
- Monitors operations, disk usage, performs system tuning and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Responsible for keeping infrastructure hardware and applications up to date including patches to firmware and applications, OS versions and hardware replacements.
- Performs hardware and software problem resolution and assists in the development and documentation of technical standards.
- Responds to work orders utilizing the ticketing system problem queue including updates, entry and closure, and interface applications.
- Performs application and operating systems patches, updates, maintenance and system activity monitoring for Windows Server systems, business systems applications, enterprise network storage systems, regular O/S patch and service pack delivery to server and desktop systems.
- Provides direct support for end-users.
- Determines system requirements for projects, system performance, future growth and expansions.
- Functions as system administrator performing tasks such as creating user ID profiles, performing security evaluations, audits of the Active Directory, providing end user support and help desk services.
- Documents and trains other IT team members on maintenance and usage of new and existing Infrastructure and Enterprise technologies.
- Initiates and maintains current documentation and diagrams on new and existing systems.
- Works cooperatively with IT team to expand and clarify documentation and ensures IT team members are trained in new and existing applications.
- Researches, designs, tests and recommends new Infrastructure Technology Solutions.
- Builds and maintains a test environment for development and testing of new and existing systems and technologies.
- Demonstrates new Enterprise Technology solutions that will be cost effective and enhance MTS's users' technology experience.
- Establishes server specifications by conferring with users, analyzing workflow, access, information and security requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of or ability to learn MTS policies and regulations, ability to read, understand, and apply MTS policies, regulations and union labor contracts; ability to write letters, memoranda and reports using clear, concise and grammatically correct English; ability to speak clearly, distinctly, and effectively in person-to-person or small group situations using tact and diplomacy; ability to coordinate and initiate actions necessary to implement decisions and delegate responsibilities to appropriate personnel; ability to establish and maintain priorities in order to complete assignments by deadlines without detailed instructions; skill in verifying the accuracy and completeness of forms and reports; knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel and the ability to learn and use other software that MTS might have or acquire.
- Experience with the following technologies:
o Microsoft Windows Server Operating systems 2003 R2, 2008 R2, 2012 R2, 2016
o Microsoft Active Directory 2012 R2
o DNS/DHCP/File/Print Services
o Microsoft Exchange Server 2010/2016
o SAN/NAS technology
o Server Virtualization - VMware
o Enterprise Virus Management
o Network Fax systems
o UPS Design and Wiring in Datacenters
o Server Hardware Configuration, RAID, HP C7000 Blade Server
o Solarwinds Monitoring Applications
o Commvault Backups
- Strong problem solving, strategic planning, multi-tasking, quality focus, coordination, technical understanding and a participative style when working within a team environment.
- A high level of analytical skills and application of those skills in problem identification, definition, testing and solving in large scale server, SAN and Virtualization in Microsoft environments.
- Ability to explain complicated ideas to non-technical users, peers and partner agencies.
- Motivated, self-starter with excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Detailed understanding of information technologies and large scale project management.
Candidates must be able to perform the physical demands of the job, such as walking, bending, stooping, sitting, reaching for overhead files and occasional lifting (must be able to lift up to 50 pounds). Must have the ability to operate a motor vehicle and perform tasks involving manual dexterity, such as use of a computer and 10-key. Work may at times require more than 8 hours per day and/or irregular hours to perform the essential duties of the position. Duties will be performed primarily in an office type environment. May require travel to external agencies.
At least two (2) years of experience performing Systems Administration duties involving Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Server platform, and Microsoft Exchange is required. A bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university in Computer Science, Management of Information Systems or a related filed is preferred. Must possess and maintain a valid California driver's license.
Any of the following certifications are highly desirable:
- VMware Certified Design Expert
- VMware Implementation Expert
- VMware Certified Professional
- VMware Certified Associate
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)
Must satisfactorily pass all applicable examinations including, but not limited to, a pre-employment physical, drug screen and background check.
#8 ($56,557 - $96,400)
Anticipated Hiring Range:
$58,000 to $80,000
The above described job elements are intended to indicate the general nature and levels of work being performed by employees assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities and skills required of employees so classified. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.