This is a hands-on position assisting the Sous Chef and Executive Chef with the preparation of food for events by following approved recipes and maintaining the highest production standards.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain an organized and sanitary work station at all times.
- Follow approved recipes and production standards.
- Prepare all meats, vegetables, proteins, starches and soups according to specific recipes or as instructed by Sous Chef and/or Executive Chef and adjust quantity for fluctuation in volume.
- Properly label and dates food items for storage.
- Maintain and organize storage rooms, refrigerators and freezers.
- Organizes freezer pulls as necessary.
- Minimize waste by controlling overage and usage.
- Educate and train seasonal kitchen staff on proper procedures and standards.
- Assemble and complete final production of hot and cold food items.
- Assist with plating of catered meals.
- Supervises temporary labor.
- Fulfills the service per each Banquet Event Order (BEO).
- Designs buffet food presentations.
- Maintains a clean and safe working environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Skills and Abilities
- High School diploma or GED certificate
- 1 year experience in a banquet facility preparing meals for large events
- Two year culinary degree or appropriate continuing education credits preferred.
- Three years of experience in a cook's position preferred.
- Knowledge of all major kitchen equipment and appliances.
- Ability to properly operate ovens, stoves, grills, steamers, smoker, mixers, kettles, char-broiler and other kitchen equipment.
- Must be able to identify and properly use all kitchen small wares.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to read and speak English.
- Strong knowledge of state health codes and sanitation standards.
- Ability to adhere to strict grooming standards established by SMG-Tulsa.
- Ability to recognize and utilize weights and measurements, both liquid and dry.
- Knowledge and skills in diverse culinary techniques including multi-ethnic cuisine, displays, garde manger, sauces, protein cutting, plate presentation and sanitation.
- Skill in volume production and hands-on cooking.
- Ability to perform basic math functions necessary to execute recipes.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to execute large functions.
- Ability to work extended hours productively.
- Demonstrate exceptional skills in customer relations, communications, and problem solving
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both oral and written form
- Work independently, exercising good judgment and initiative
- Ability to undertake and complete multiple tasks
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, exhibitors, patrons, and others while working
- Ability to work flexible hours including daytime, evening, weekends, and holidays
- Operate a personal computer using Windows, Office and other standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed for events.
- Physical ability to perform tasks that may require prolonged standing, lifting, stooping, and walking. Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Recruiter: Portia Hargrove
200 S. Denver Ave
Tulsa OK 74103
All applicants must apply online to be considered. Applicants needing reasonable accommodations to complete the application may contact the Human Resources Administrative Assistant at (918) 894-4353.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.