Role and Responsibilities
Reportingdirectly to the Executive Director, the Major Gifts Officer will be responsiblefor the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of majorgifts of $10,000 or more from individuals, corporations and foundations, aswell as supporting planned giving when appropriate. The position will often partnerwith staff leadership and volunteers on the Gala Planning Committee to advancesolicitation and stewardship activities. Key metrics for success will includedonor engagement through in-person contacts and portfolio development, andrevenue (year one expectations at $150,000).
The MajorGifts Officer is responsible for best practices of moves management and directsolicitation of supporters located across Ohio.
Responsibilities in these areas including, but are not limited to:
Planfund development activities
· Utilize your circle of influence to qualify prospective donors todevelop an active portfolio of 120 to 140 individuals for Major Giftscultivation, solicitation and stewardship. Retain current donors. The goal forthis position is to have eight to 10 meaningful visits a month.
· Design and implement customized cultivation strategies for eachdonor that will serve as a foundational communication and marketing plan foreach individual within your portfolio.
· Work with staff leadership to attain current projects informationand create offers and proposals that are used to secure major gifts
· Monitor and evaluate all fundraisingactivities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved. Collaboratewith staff and volunteers to coordinate cultivation events and other activitiesfor donors/prospective donors.
· Monitor all contacts to ensure positive and purposeful prospectand donor relations.
· Move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion towardsolicitation and closure. Maintain a full and flexible calendar to ensuretimely solicitations and meetings.
· Strengthen individual donor stewardship programs, includingorganizing and leading visits with funders and keeping them informed aboutW.A.G.S. 4 Kids’ work.
Organize fund development activities
· Identify and develop corporate, community andindividual prospects for the organization's fundraising priorities
· Work with the Development Associate to overseethe administration of a donor mailing list and Raisers Edge NXT database whichrespects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information
· Serve as W.A.G.S. 4 Kids’ secondary to provideadditional support for department activities, all fundraising andstewardship events by collaborating with the Executive Director on:
o Overseeingthe production of events. (May include content development, venue selection andsite visits, collateral materials, data management, RSVP management, catering, volunteercoordination, and event‐day logistics)
o Preparing budgets and periodic progressreports for the Executive Director and event chairs.
o Leading all event related committee meetingsand ensuring proper communication with chairs and staff regarding event goals,responsibilities and follow‐up.
o Developing and maintaining high professionalstandards and procedures for production of events.
o Maintaining exemplary relationships with eventchairs and vendors while identifying appropriate new business relationships.
o Engage and manage volunteers as needed usingestablished volunteer management practices.
o Soliciting sponsors, and creating fundingproposals for presentation at senior- level meetings.
o Assist inoccasional research and preparation of donor and prospect briefings for seniorvolunteers and staff solicitors working with donors and prospects.
o Participatein regular department and staff meetings, either on the phone or in person asneeded.
o Using thedatabase, create and record timely reports on all donor interactions.
o Assist with other development officeresponsibilities, as needed
Manage fund developmentbudget
· Develop and gain approval for an annual incomeand expenditure budget for the fund development program
· Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets,receipts and expenditure related to fundraising and the management of the funddevelopment activities
· Monitor expenses and analyze budget reports onfund development and recommend changes as necessary
Promote the organization
· Foster an understanding of philanthropy withinthe organization
· Work with the Executive Director to develop acohesive, compelling, and comprehensive communication plan to promote theorganization to its community and corporate donors and maximize publicawareness of the fundraising activities of the organization; as well asawareness to our primary clientele, the families that we serve.
· Build relationships with community stakeholdersto advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization
· Represent W.A.G.S. 4 Kids at all SignatureEvents (required) as well as other fundraising and stewardship events.
Signature Fundraising Events:
The Mac ‘n’ Cheese Throwdown ‐February
Wonder Run 5K – August
W.A.G.S.inCLE Night Out Gala –September/October
Other Fundraising andStewardship Events*:
Parent Partner PlacementFundraisers – Year Round
Dawgs for the Dogs - June
Barley House Golf Outing – July
Sheffield Lake Community Days PokerRun - July
North Royalton Pet Fair – July
Flats Arts Fest – August
6th 'N Barley Tailgate - September
Harry Buffalo Painsville. CharityGolf Outing – September
Howl-o-ween - October
Jazzy's Health Fund –November/December
*This list may be altered as majorfundraising and awareness opportunities become available.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college oruniversity in Business, Communications, Non-Profit Admin/Mgmt, Journalism orMarketing.
· Seven to 10-plus years of significant nonprofitfundraising in an organization that has a reputation for strategic thinking,organizational excellence and aggressive action.
· Five-plus years of experience in major donorcultivation and solicitation. Proven track record of building donorrelationships and closing gifts in the five- and six-figure range. Experiencewith seven-figure gifts is a plus.
· A proven track record of maintaining effectiverelationships with major donors and determining the optimal scenario forsuccessful gift solicitation.
· Experience working with volunteer fundraisers tosuccessfully close major gifts among their networks.
· Ability to establish and monitor priorities,maintain flexibility, and meet deadlines with little direct supervision.
· Exceptionally strong strategic thinking,analytical and prospect research skills, and goal orientation are essential.
· Outstanding stewardship and relationshipmanagement skills with meticulous follow-through and excellent presentationskills while exercising creativity. Demonstrated donor recognition strategies.
· Successful experience in making cold calls aswell as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies.
· Works well under pressure in a demanding, fastpaced work environment. Ability to operate with purpose, urgency and accuracy.
· Excellent interpersonal and communicationsskills with both internal and external constituencies, as well as written andverbal required. Adept at crafting compelling and high-quality proposals,reports, solicitation letters and donor correspondence.
· Proven experience in telling the story of anorganization and its effectiveness. Excels at articulating organization goals,outcomes, objectives, and evaluation strategies to donors.
· Leadership skills; proven results incollaboration and participation with internal and outside stakeholders.
· Experience with screening services like WealthEngine and Blackbaud Analytics to drive results helpful.
· Solid comprehension of, and ability toarticulate, W.A.G.S. 4 Kids’ programming, mission, goals and accomplishments;established relationships within the Ohio philanthropic community a strongplus.
· Experience with planned giving is a plus.
· Willingness to travel in Ohio as well as work aflexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends.
· Ability to type at least 30 words a minute andlift 50 lbs.
· Must have a commitment to the mission ofW.A.G.S. 4 Kids.
Amission-driven individual with a belief in, commitment to, and passion for thephilosophy of W.A.G.S. 4 Kids. Extremely proactive approach to work. Someone thatis solutions oriented. Adheres to the highest ethical standards, demonstratesempathetic disposition and perseverance, reflects optimistic and positiveattitude, and conveys sensitivity to the needs of donors. A good listener andstrategist. Comfortable receiving input from many sources and able to analyzeand formulate disparate information to a sound, well-organized plan. Intrepidyet tactful. Determined yet respectful of others’ concerns. Shows diplomacy andis open to other viewpoints. Must be highly organized and demonstrate excellentattention to details while pursuing overall goals. Self-starter with ability toquickly demonstrate a positive network of relationships, while creating new anddeeper relationship opportunities. A hard worker with a high energy level. A‘doer’ with a willingness to work hands-on in developing and executing avariety of major donor development and activities. A well-organized and focusedindividual that is capable of and interested in increasing the effectiveness ofW.A.G.S. 4 Kids’ development team. A passionate advocate open to new possibilities;inspiring, creative and visionary. Positive daily work attitude on a consistentbasis. Experience with non-profits, start-up organizations or socialenterprises. Experience in team management and logistics is also greatlybeneficial. Proven experience working in a fundraising database a must, RaisersEdge NXT preferred. Experience and supporting staff members in an officeenvironment is strongly preferred. Experience with the population served byW.A.G.S. 4 Kids is also a plus. At W.A.G.S. 4 Kids, we are committed to: Smilefirst, expect more, be strategic and innovative, and lead by example.
Working Animals Giving Service for Kids (W.A.G.S. 4 Kids) isa growing non-profit organization. Our mission is to provide mobility serviceand autism spectrum service dogs to children with disabilities throughout 22 counties of Northeast and CentralOhio. All dogs are trained utilizing the W.A.G.S. 4 Kids AccreditedApprenticeship Service Dog Training Program, housed with the inmates of GraftonCorrectional Institution & Mansfield Correctional Institution. For moreinformation, please visit: www.wags4kids.org
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.We are an equal opportunity employer.
View the Full Job Description as a PDF:
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $18.00 to $20.00 /hour
Full Time Opportunity:
This Job Is: