Who we are:
Founded in 2013, we started Madison Reed with a simple mission: To make luxurious radiant hair color with ingredients you can feel good about.
At the forefront of innovation, we created the first ever smart 6-Free permanent hair color: Free of ammonia, parabens, resorcinol, PPD, phthalates and gluten. And we added hair-loving nutrients including keratin, argan oil, and ginseng root extract to protect and pamper hair.
Madison Reed is revolutionizing the $50 billion hair care industry by making personal care more personal and by offering best-in-class products formulated under strict standards that truly raise the bar. Our deep commitment to the "client" experience paired with our unparalleled technology and product innovation has fostered an extremely dedicated, consistently-growing fan base.
We are a company built on integrity, innovation, responsibility and love. Headquartered in San Francisco, our team is over 100+ strong. We are backed by leading investors such as: Norwest Partners, True Ventures, Comcast Ventures and Maveron.
Who you are:
You're a passionate, seasoned design leader who can elevate and champion the brand's look and feel as we grow exponentially. You're enthusiastic about applying creative design skills to projects including UI/UX web, emails, video, packaging, direct mail, social media, and in-store signage. When we say "applying creative design skills" this includes both creative direction and execution—you're happy to roll up your sleeves and do the work to get the job done. You're cool/calm/comfortable with leading and mentoring a team of designers. You've got amazing creative vision and a keen sense of what resonates with the prestige beauty consumer—and believe that creating a strong emotional connection with her is paramount. You have a strong aesthetic point of view, great presentation skills, and exceptional typography skills. Your art must appeal from a brand perspective and also perform commercially. You are also able to visually communicate a complex value proposition cleanly and drive action. You are a hard-working self-starter, able to collaborate in a fast-paced environment. You are fun and you also have an eye for detail.
Responsible for the design vision (and consistency) for the brand. Responsibilities include art direction and "roll up your sleeves" concept and design of print and digital assets including packaging, video, infographics, web banners, emails, digital ads, website, visual merchandising and more. Work efficiently and effectively in a fast paced start-up environment. Manage team of 4+ designers, contract videographer, and partner content advertising vendors. Proficient in Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Kenyote, PowerPoint.
- Partner with VP CD to concept and present design vision to c-level team and internal clients
- Strategize, support and lead design vision, conceptualization and execution of creative solutions partnering with VP Creative Director and/or Editorial Director. This includes generating big creative ideas and executing work on their own, as well as managing and approving the work of the creative team.
- Mentor and manage a team of designers (4+) guiding them to generate and deliver work on time.
- Closely partner with engineering/dev from onset of project to collaborate and troubleshoot designs innovations and/or limitations.
- Partner with Project Manager to manage workflow, determine assignments and track progress.
- Act as brand quality control.
- Plan, budget, oversee and art direct photography shoots and retouching. Advise team on selecting stock photo images when needed.
- Develop each team member to become confident with leadership and presentation skills, always monitoring performance and progress, and managing up to the leadership team.
- Foster positive relationships among the internal teams—digital product, social, engineering, acquisition, retention, and PR.
- Understand, articulate, and strategically apply the latest platform/industry/creative trends and digital best practices, knowing social inside out and always seeking the next opportunity in this space for the company brand.
- Solid understanding of digital media, emerging technologies and new ideas.
Information for Recruiters:
- Eagerness to both generate big ideas and get execution work done.
- Minimum of 10 years of design experience – experience in both digital, social, video, packaging and photography a must.
- Need to both manage and execute. Requires a strong aesthetic sense, ability to conceptualize, perform cross-functionally.
- Must have strong understanding of branding.
- Demonstrated success in leading multiple cross-media campaigns.
- Experience managing a team.
- Ability to carry out a concept from start to completion, on their own AND as a manager, understanding the balance between the two and delegating as needed. Proactive and deadline-driven.
- Project management skills.
- Stellar communication skills and ability to meet deadlines, including managing the timelines of their staff.
- A good understanding of information architecture and effective usability techniques for web.
- Strong conceptual and brainstorming skills, leading, participating, mentoring whenever needed.
- The ability to effectively collaborate with various teams, providing useful guidance in an enthusiastic and inspiring manner.
- Beauty or fashion experience a plus.
Madison Reed only accepts resumes directly from candidates. Madison Reed does not accept unsolicited resumes from staffing vendors, including recruitment agencies and/or search firms, and does not pay fees to any such vendors for any unsolicited resumes