The mission of the New Orleans Police Department is to provide professional police services to the public in order to maintain order and protect life and property.
Police Officer Job Description
A NOPD officer provides protection of life and property within the municipal boundaries of the Parish of Orleans and the City of New Orleans. This is a full time job.
Note: Listed salary ($56,566) includes supplemental pay after first year on the job.
Salary for first 10 months while in police training academy and field training is $40,391.
Immediate hire as Police Aide available for qualified candidates who pass initial background screening.
The responsibilities of an NOPD officer include protecting life, preserving the peace, and performing their duties satisfactorily. Including, but not limited to:
- Responding to calls for service and emergency assistance
- Rendering aid to the physically injured
- Investigating safety hazards and taking action to correct potential problem areas
- Enforcing state and city ordinances relating to keeping the peace
- Providing motorized, foot and bicycle patrol to residential and business areas
- Practicing problem solving techniques in support of the department's, community policing and problem solving strategies
- Operating police vehicles in routine and emergency situations
- Participating in job-related training and courses to maintain skills, knowledge and abilities
- Acting without direct supervision and exercising independent discretion in meeting emergencies
- Pursuing and apprehending fleeing suspects (climbing fences or walls, jumping ditches, running up to several blocks, etc.)
- Using firearms and other means of self-defense
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. An applicant must be:
- At least 20 years old
- Licensed to drive with a good driving record and driving experience
- In good physical and psychological condition to perform the essential functions of the job of Police Officer
- Possess a state approved G.E.D./high school diploma
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $56,566.00 per year
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Driver's License (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off