The Senior Staff Accountant position will be part of a team responsible for the centralized processing of all accounting related activities in support of multiple operating companies (OpCos) of a holding company whose stock is publicly-traded. As part of the accounting shared services group, this position will be required to support more than one OpCo. This position reports directly to an Accounting Manager.
The Senior Staff Accountant will also establish a positive working relationship with the various operating companies and their respective field based staffs (if any).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE (BUT NOT LIMITED TO)
- Assist in preparing period ending financial statements and reporting packages
- Monthly & quarterly preparation of schedules in support of financial statements.
- Maintenance of fixed assets reporting and compliance; construction-in-progress (CIP) projects and appropriation requests; reconciliation of Sage fixed assets to Great Plains
- General ledger reconciliations; analyze general ledger transactions for clarity and accuracy.
- Work with other functional areas (e.g., tax and procurement); outside service providers
- Assist internal and external audit and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance
- Assist the Accounting Manager(s) drive standard operating procedures (SOPs) and compliance across the OpCos.
- Support the integration, adoption and continuous improvement of standardized processes, application tools, and work flow processes.
- Monthly additions, depreciation, disposal, etc. reports from Sage Fixed Assets for audit, including reconciliation to GL.
- Manage staff accountants
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Strong analytical and accounting skills.
- Intermediate experience with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook or similar programs.
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a team environment
- Ability to work closely with others with a positive attitude and a willingness to help others.
- Ability to represent all MIC operating companies in a professional and positive manner.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Ability to interact with third parties and employees in a professional and courteous manner.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Intermediate knowledge of major accounting software packages for both general ledger accounting. Great Plains preferred.
- Must be able to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment.
- The individual will be expected to work with minimal up-front guidance and take ownership of his / her work product. The individual will work closely with all major functional leaders of the Company.
- Document policies, procedures and workflow for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Contribute to department and organization special projects as assigned.
- Assist with internal and external audits.
- Assist with financial system set-up and testing as required
- Assist with financial reporting and general ledger reconciliations.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are requires of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelors degree in accounting, or a Bachelors degree in business with emphasis in accounting; Degree(s) must be from a credible college or university
- At least four years’ of progressively responsible experience in an accounting department
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Excel required
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Able to multi-task
- Effective in General Ledger software, (Great Plains preferred), and office software (reports program, Word, Outlook, Internet, etc.).
- Ability to learn and adapt in a growing and changing environment
- Computer, copy machine, fax and telephone skills.
Job Type: Full-time
- Audit: 3 years
- Great Plains: 4 years
- Accounting: 5 years