The High Performance Computing Specialist will interface with researchers to provide technical support, training and programming expertise for the development of HPC and data intensive applications to users of local or cloud based research clusters and data storage systems. This individual will be part of the IT Academic Computing team and will work closely with systems, storage, and network engineers to support HPC, OpenStack and Bid Data clusters. In addition, this position will work with and serve as primary IT liaison for researchers to identify and support technology related to research and research initiatives at SUNY DMC.
- Running scientific applications on large scale computers
- System administration and optimizing applications in an academic HPC Center consisting of Linux-based HPC and storage systems including hardware and software in largescale heterogeneous environments.
- HPC or cloud scheduling, such as, GridEngine, HT Condor, SLURM, Mesos or Nomad
- Programming in common scripting languages (Bash, Python, etc.), and parallel programming methodologies (e.g., MPI).
- Expert knowledge of SSH, Iptables, NFS, DNS
- Investigating new technologies that have promise to advance scientific computation and other research based technology for DMC researchers.
- Working directly with researchers in finding solutions to demanding computational and other problems with the ability to pick up and learn general concepts and technologies quickly and independently.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE ABOVE POSITION DESCRIPTION
Bachelor’s degree & 3 years experience (educational equivalent) in Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Engineering Computer Science, high performance computing cluster or cloud based environment, or a related field. PREFERRED: M.S. degree (Ph.D. preferred) in Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field.