Mon./Wed. (2 days a week + other required hours) (Up to 12 hours a week)
Reports to: Preschool Director
Teams with: Assistant Director or Coordinators, Assistant Teacher and other teachers on staff
ESSENTIAL DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide a classroom which meets the emotional, social, spiritual, physical and intellectual needs of the individual child and the group as a whole.
- Interact with the children individually and as a group and encourage their involvement in activities. Perform most interactions with the children by getting down on their eye level.
- Prepare a warm, safe environment that is orderly, clean and appealing and permits children to explore and learn.
- Assure that children are appropriately supervised in the classroom, the restrooms, on the playground, and in enrichment classes.
- Plan monthly lesson plans based on Colonial’s curriculum guidelines and themes, incorporating the use of theme based interest centers each day.
- Incorporate and lead our Handwriting Without Tears curriculum daily in classroom use.
- Establish and maintain good communication with families through phone calls, conferences, monthly newsletters, daily “Ask Me About My Day” sheets, and with daily personal conversation.
- Observe, record and report significant individual behaviors and/or developmental concerns to director and assistant director/program coordinator.
- Maintain professionalism and confidentiality regarding individual children, parents and other staff members in all situations.
- Use appropriate, consistent and positive discipline.
- Maintain all student records and portfolios using developmentally appropriate testing and assessment techniques.
- Attend and participate in monthly staff meetings.
- Prepare in advance all materials needed for the daily lessons and activities.
- Pray regularly for the children in the classroom.
- Design the room arrangement, plan the daily schedule, handle the main disciplining of children, and discuss the children’s development and progress with the children’s families and with the director and assistant director/program coordinator.
- Identify children who are ill and ensure their parents are contacted.
16.Assure the supervision and safety of children on field trips, for applicable age
17.Schedule and conduct parent/teacher conferences.
18.Maintain classroom inventory.
19.Release children only to authorized adults.
20.Guide the Assistant Teacher assigned to you.
21.Work to achieve goals mutually set on an annual basis with the Preschool
22.Complete 10 hours of professional development per year.
23.Understand and demonstrate compliance with state licensing regulations.
24.Comply with all the requirements and guidelines set forth both in this job description and in the Staff Guidebook.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS / COMPETENCIES / GIFTS:
- Commitment to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and the desire to incorporate that faith into each day of the program.
- 2. S. in Early Childhood Education or related education field, or Associate’s Degree in Child Development (CDA) preferred but not required.
- Prior to beginning work, current certification for CPR, and First Aid (renewed every two years), and certificates of attendance in classes for Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases, and Child Abuse and Neglect.
- Prior to beginning work, a medical release indicating clearance to work with children and a current TB test (within the last year).
- 10 hours of documented professional training is required per school year.
- Ability to relate joyfully and sensitively to children.
- Evidence of emotional maturity and stability.
- Evidence of sufficient security and judgment to handle a crisis situation.
- Physical stamina adequate to interact for the entire program time with young, active children. Must be physically able to lift 40 pounds, and able to participate in child related activities such as jumping, running, and dancing. Must be able to kneel or bend down to the children’s level consistently and repeatedly. Must be able to climb and descend stairs quickly in order to supervise fire and tornado escapes. Staff working in the Lower Division must be able to lift children to changing tables repeatedly throughout the day.
- Ability to supervise and direct Assistant Teachers.
- Works in cooperation with and takes direction from the assistant director/ program coordinator and director.
- Ability to recognize and record significant individual and group behavior, and individual developmental concerns.
- Time commitment: 6 hours per day
Plus monthly staff meetings, parent teacher conference days, special events, retreat, set up day, and inventory. School is closed for Labor Day, the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of Thanksgiving week, two weeks of Christmas Break, one week of Spring Break, Martin Luther King Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, and for Parent Teacher Conferences.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $11.00 to $12.00 /hour
- Early Childhood Education: 3 years
- Teaching: 3 years
- Preschool: 3 years
- High school or equivalent
- Child Development Associate
- Early Childhood Education
Required work authorization: