Under general supervision, performs work of considerable difficulty in planning and managing capital design and construction, and major renovation projects from conceptual initiation through construction closeout and occupancy including but not limited to stakeholder engagement activities and charrettes, bid document review, and construction oversight; performs related work as required.
Essential Job Functions:
- Coordinates charrettes and other meetings to engage A&E, staff, and other stakeholders to determine project programming needs including but not limited to - scope of work, schedule, FF&E, project feasibility, and schedule.
- Develops and manages project budget; manages and recommends for payment consultant and contractor payments and change orders and coordinates with the Assistant Director and the Construction Contract Administrator for final review and approval.
- Works with Construction Contract Administrator and County Purchasing to procure architectural, engineering, other professional consultants, and construction services; participates in interviews and supports contract negotiations.
- Serves as Owner's Representative for contractors, consultants, suppliers, and regulatory agencies to manage projects.
- Monitors and manages projects through all phases (Programming through Closeout); ensures projects are designed and constructed in accordance with cost estimates, budgets, design specifications, schedules and other contract requirements.
- Coordinates with staff, contractors, consultants and regulatory agencies for timely review and approval of plans and drawings, technical reviews, permit applications, surveys, regulatory reviews and community meetings.
- Conducts regular meetings with contractors, architects, engineers and other consultants to monitor progress, anticipate obstacles, and resolve project issues.
- Prepares project status reports, schedules, and cost estimates, and maintains project records and documentation.
- Provide onsite construction management, including regular site visits to track progress and maintain close project oversight. Develops appropriate documentation for site visits and meetings; verifies the contractor's conformance to the project schedule.
- Ensure contractor's work conforms to design plans and specifications, contractor is meeting safety requirements, and contractor is on schedule to deliver the work; notify the Assistant Director of Engineering & Construction and the Director of Facilities and provide an immediate corrective action plan when these items are not being met.
- Makes changes to caliber and quality of work based on audit results and recommendations from the Construction Contract Administrator.
- Performs other work as assigned.
Considerable knowledge of: the principles and practices of construction project management and facilities engineering, as related to programming and design, new construction and renovations; infrastructure and building construction methods, standard industry practices, and materials; local, state and federal laws, ordinances, regulations and codes related to design, construction and renovations of sites, buildings and other facilities. Ability to read and interpret complex architectural and engineering plans and specifications; develop and administer contracts; to analyze and evaluate complex issues, make sound judgments, propose viable solutions and courses of action and establish priorities; to operate a personal computer and related software and other standard office equipment; to communicate effectively orally and in writing; to develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external clients. Knowledge, skills and ability in the use of standard office software (Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Project).
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Construction Management; Valid VA Driver's License.
A minimum of ten (10) years of work experience in a related professional field inclusive of a minimum of five (5) years of specific experience in private, public, or other governmental construction program or facilities management. The candidate must submit to a personal credit check and have no judgments or other negative credit report.
Professional Engineering license and/or Project Management Professional Certification are preferred. K-12 educational facility design and construction management experience is preferred.
This position is designated as a driving position. In accordance with Policy 5431, driving record checks are performed annually on individuals occupying driving positions.
Applicants considered for employment must successfully complete the following background investigations/tests:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal History Investigation
- State Police Criminal History Investigation
- Child Protective Services (CPS) Investigation
- Tuberculosis Screening/Test