The Fiber Design Engineering groups are regional based and report to the GM –
VP/ Director of the region. The engineer is responsible for all aspects of fiber design and allocation, route design, map creation, and cable inventory orders for the physical Outside and Inside Plants areas. Projects requiring Fiber Design can either be customer funded based on service orders or company funded initiatives (ie: expansion, overbuild, municipal projects, etc.)
Fiber Design Required Customer Funded
Fiber Design Required Company Funded
- Attend Kick-Off meetings if new backbone, lateral, and / or riser fiber is required.
- Review sales engineering design and determine backbone fiber route.
- Obtain necessary circuit identifiers from groups; or create as required.
- Create a Fiber DLR in Netcracker for A-Z fiber locations. (Note: New sites require the site survey form completed, submitted, and entered in the system prior by Fiber Construction.)
- Design fiber route and create all necessary splicing prints and work orders for vendors performing splicing work within the active backbone.
- Provide fiber assignments to Construction Team for lateral fibers to last demarc panel if new lateral is required. Construction to handle MPOE splice & demarc splices on new lateral builds only. Coordination of fiber cable count & demarcs will need to be obtained from Construction.
- Fiber Engineering responsible for all backbone splicing & end/end testing. (Note: Splicing can be managed by Fiber Construction where requested.)
- Obtain Quote/Bids from contractors for all backbone splicing & end/end testing.
- Create Requisitions for Purchase Order approval and payment to vendors.
- Manage vendors / contractors during splicing & testing of circuits.
- Submit all necessary Change management notifications and adhere to field activity policies and guidelines.
- Provide Operations / Provisioning with final DLR’s & test shots for closeout
- After completion close out tasks in CRM.
- Approve all vendor invoices for the project in ReqLogic.
All tasks and process items above apply. Company funded projects have the following additional tasks.
- Create Internal WO (work order) in CRM for the project.
- Validate all route maps and fiber allocation status.
Fiber Design Engineers are responsible for Cost Requests in CRM. Cost requests are created by the Sales Engineering group. A price request will result in a task created for the engineer to review and respond to.
Cost Requests (CRM)
Fiber Splicing and Network Capacity Monitoring
- Fiber Design Engineers are involved in all desk-top and firm pricing requests sent to fiber team from sales engineers.
- Firm costs to be provided for all necessary splicing based on existing network fiber conditions.
- Backbone fiber design maps to be provided as requested for the A-Z locations / path.
- The Fiber Design Engineers are responsible for all network splicing activities. They are responsible for the on-going review of the network fiber and capacity within a region. The engineers are responsible for all leased fiber routes and mid span connections where applicable.
- Review weekly schedules of upcoming splice locations to determine common splice locations that can be combined to avoid multiple visits to same enclosure in the same week.
- Submit and update all necessary Change Management notifications adhering to all network activity policies.
- Review capacity reports and plan network augments on high utilization fiber routes.
- Create WO’s for all overbuild and expansion projects.
- Provision express fiber routes for LIT network homeruns to Crown Castle Fiber Switched Network & maintain minimum capacity at all times. (Will result in fewer hands in the plant on major backbone routes)
- Fiber Design Engineers are responsible for all emergency and trouble response. All engineers participate in On-Call. On-Call is handled and assigned within each region. There are distribution lists that have been developed for all NOC tickets requiring the team’s response and involvement. The on-call fiber design engineer is tasked with management of all break / fix incidents that involve fiber re-routes and/or new assignments.
- Respond immediately to all incidents and/or trouble tickets related to a problem or an emergency identified to be in the physical fiber infrastructure.
- Work jointly with the NOC, Crown Castle Fiber Field Operations, and Change management; and mobilize necessary repair crews to isolate and restore any fiber impairments.
- Upon completion of repair, review WO and task for Fiber Records task for proper reporting and documentation of any allocation changes as a result of the repair.
- Create a Requisition for a PO where required to the vendor for time and labor on the repair that was associated with splicing if not managed by Fiber Construction.
Primary Location: US-VA-Herndon
Work Locations: Herndon - 1
196 Van Buren Street Suite 250
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Job Type: Standard
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Job Posting: Aug 7, 2018, 1:39:36 PM