The Director of Annual Giving is responsible for the development, management and integration of programs that engage and build relationships with alumni and all other constituents of Ashland University to increase donors. The Director of Annual Giving is responsible for the strategic vision, leadership and development of a comprehensive annual giving program, with direct focus on alumni participation, donor retention, and targeted acquisition.
The Director of Annual Giving needs to be a creative self-starter with effective communication skills and can present to University executives as well as student groups. They will need to understand the important synergy between alumni engagement and annual giving, develop programs and events that leverage both teams, and expand the Ashland University donor base through those programs.
The Director of Annual Giving plays a pivotal role in accelerating growth in alumni and annual giving; creates and leads a unified strategy and outreach effort to create a stronger level of engagement among University alumni and constituents; designs, leads, and directs the development of annual goals and objectives, operating plans and budgets, staffing, and volunteer program management for the Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving programs.
The Director of Annual Giving will plan, execute, and analyze the success of solicitations throughout the fiscal year. This person will plan, execute and analyze the plans for the following areas in coordination with area leaders (including but not limited to): Annual Giving, University Colleges, Athletics, Student Support. These solicitation efforts will build a diverse base of support for the university. They will work with department managers to maximize the needs of the department and the resources of the Annual Giving and Alumni Engagement Offices.
Position Essential Functions
- Develop the strategy and execute direct mail, email, online crowdfunding, and phonathon campaigns each fiscal year.
- Planning, developing and monitoring the annual giving budget to ensure maximum cost-benefit ratio is accomplished in conjunction with effective communication and compelling solicitation.
- Identifying all audiences and segmentation per campaign
- Plan and work in coordination with university partners for marketing of all campaigns
- Develop the strategy and analyze annual progress of consecutive year donors, LYBUNT retention rates, SYBUNT recapture rates, and new donors acquisition rates. Develop the strategy for any audience based giving programs such as Young Alumni Donors.
- Develop all yearly solicitation plans and goal setting for Annual Giving Priorities (including but not limited to):
- The Ashland Fund
- The Provost Fund
- Student Emergency Fund
- Annual Student Scholarships
- Athletic Giving
- Execute all solicitations which include but are not limited to:
- Crowdfunding Campaigns
- Direct Mail Solicitation
- Email Solicitations
- Phone Solicitations
- Personal Visits
- Develop the strategy and maintain, with the Alumni Programming team and University Marketing, the Annual Giving and Alumni Engagement yearly communication plan, as well as the Institutional Advancement communication plan and analyze results of each communication campaign
- Including but not limited to: direct mail, email, social media communications
- Including all segments of donors/ alumni/ and other constituents
- Evaluating reports and projections to ensure department planning is data driven and meets overall IA department goals and strategies.
- Maintain a portfolio of donors and/or potential donors. Personal visits, phone calls, and stewardship to our leadership giving donors, and highly engaged alumni.
- President’s Circle Members
- AUAA Board of Directors
- Develop the strategy and in coordination with coaches and the Athletic Director, plan for athletic giving strategies, including team donor clubs, general fundraising, and engagement events.
- Oversee the Call Center and the Assistant Director’s execution of a engagement/solicitation student calling program.
- Oversee the Philanthropy Committee of the AUAA Board of Directors.
- Execute at least one Alumni Engagement Volunteer Program with the assistance of the Assistant Director and Office of Undergraduate Admissions (ACE).
- Contribute to the planning and execution of all Alumni Programming Events as required by the team.
- Pursue any new initiatives brought forth to the department by the Vice President of Institutional Advancement.