This position requires an engineering and construction background by an individual with a broad base of experience. This position requires that candidates understand that the position is intended for those that want to use their engineering and construction skills and degree; while also learning facilities management and operations skills necessary for operation of multiple campus locations that employ many different electrical and mechanical facility systems as well as a multitude of in-house and contract craftsperson's. Said differently, the incumbent must be a problem solver that uses her or his engineering and construction skills on a daily basis.
As such, the incumbent must be P.E., PMP, or an experienced certified Construction Manager with extensive experience. She/he will be working independently with little supervision.
This position prepares and executed both short spec scopes of work and occasionally more formal RFP's and RFQ's. She/he performs an analysis of submissions and executed the work.
Additionally, this position is charged with the accountability and direction of negotiating, tracking and maintaining facilities maintenance agreements for all sites of the University in accordance with delegated authority.
The incumbent will provide day to day engineering and technical assistance to the craft personnel of the university as needed. This will often require a brief site visit to fully understand the issues being faced, technical research, and consultation with the craft team to effect resolution of the task at hand.
Finally, in addition to engineering duties, the incumbent will have managerial and budgetary responsibilities consistent with ensuring that daily operations of the department are conducted in a manner as prescribed by University, Federal, State and Local requirements.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical or mechanical engineering from an accredited engineering program or a related degree.
- Seven years' experience in construction and/or facilities maintenance.
- Fifteen years' documented experience working as an Engineer or Senior Construction manager dealing with institutional maintenance, construction and project management.
- Five years documented supervisory experience.
- Passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination as offered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) or holds a Project Management Professional (PMP) Certificate from Project Management Institute or other formal training and certification which prepares the applicant for a senior facilities project management position.
- Must have passed, or will pass the on-line OSHA 30 course (at HPE expense) within 90 days of employment.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office (Microsoft Excel, Word, and MS Project).
- Working knowledge of a CAD system and Microsoft Project.
- Master's degree in business, management, or a construction related field.
- Mastery of Visio or a similar program is desired.
- Passed a university level "Business Law" course.
- Have extensive facilities planning or construction management experience. Strong technical craft experience.
- Have some design, operations and modification of 3? electrical distribution system experience.
- Have some water source heat pump or DX Package A/C, or high amperage 480 3? electrical distribution experience.
- Have some central plant air conditioning experience (Chillers, pumps, DDC control systems, energy management systems, cooling tower and water treatment experiences.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Job Functions:
- Have knowledge of contract law.
- Work independently, yet be comfortable with asking questions and seeking advice when warranted.
- Be physically fit to withstand the challenges of extensive walking, climbing and descending numerous interior and external stairs and campus grounds including multi-level building facilities and numerous hills and multiple campuses.
- Utilize University-provided (or, as needed, own self-insured transportation) to transport self, employees, or students, to multiple campuses on Oahu.
- Maintain appropriate credit ratings pursuant to the University's credit check policy.
- Be able to access military base campuses, subject to criteria set by multiple federal agencies.
- Submit to and pass criminal background checks, as specified in University policies and for registration as a Professional Hawaii Engineer.
- Be able to maintain confidential information.
- Be able to work with students, faculty and staff, particularly those with special needs or mobility impairments in the event of evacuation or emergencies.
- Report to work obligations to support the department and may require work during HPU's winter break, if necessary.
- This position may be considered an essential position with report to work obligations depending on the type of emergency, campus closure, or evacuation.
- Must meet training and background check qualifications and comply with the Protection of Minors policy.
- This position may also require driving responsibility for an HPU vehicle.
- Upon hire, candidate must have reliable personal transportation to facilitate travel between to all HPU worksites and other locations as required by the position. This includes a valid driver's license and a personal vehicle that is legally registered and insured.
- Due to driving responsibilities, you must meet training and background check qualifications and comply with HPU's Vehicle Driving policy.
- Successful candidate will be able to work in an environment that utilize excellent time and stress management skills.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) with excellent attention to detail. Be able to handle multiple tasks and projects in a busy environment.
- Able to work all shifts and extended hours.
1. Facilities and Projects (50%)
- Provides day to day supervision of governmental mandated inspections and repairs for all HPU sites. Mandated inspections include, but is not limited to the following: Elevator inspections and maintenance, fire sprinkler inspections, fire alarm testing and inspections, back flow preventer inspections and testing, grease interceptor inspections and maintenance. Etc.
- Works with the HPU Procurement on a regular basis to facilitate the consolidation of facilities services into multi-year contracts for all HPU sites unless specific and valid operational and/or cost considerations preclude such actions and is approved by the senior facilities officer.
- Acts as HPU "Owners Representative" for ATM and HLC projects up to $1Million. Coordinates and schedules all contract activities with the applicable HPU staff and offices.
- An important aspect of the position is to serve as the System Administrator for the ATM and HLC Direct Digital Control system for the Central Plants, and the E-mon Energy Accounting System for ATM campus.
- Serves as Project Manager and Designated Owners Representative for construction projects; coordinates field inspections; meets regularly with construction contractors to ensure that work completed meets qualifications, timeframe and budget limitations.
- Plans best allocation and utilization of space and resources for buildings and facility (i.e. office space, tanks, storage, etc.). Maintains and updates records of space utilization by departments.
- Verifies that work by maintenance staff and contractors has been completed satisfactorily and if necessary follows up on deficiencies corrections.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Associate Vice-President, Facilities, Safety and Security.
2. Procurement (20%)
- Prepares, reviews and manages the Invitations to Bid (ITB), Requests for Qualifications (RFQ) and Requests for Proposals (RFP) for University procurements. When necessary contracts for engineering and CAD assistance.
- Recommends the selection of consultants and contractors for projects; oversees negotiation of consultants and contractors, evaluates and recommends contract change orders as necessary.
- Assures compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and policies related to facilities/construction and compliance with purchasing and procurement policies.
- Develops and maintains an effective working relationship with contractors, vendors and fosters relations between them and the University.
- Prepares bid tabulations, completes value assessment for recommendation of contract award. Advises and collaborates with user departments (customers) and professional staff in making value assessment recommendations for awards
3. Financial (20%)
- Participates in the development of the department's annual budget, assists in the forecast of additional funds needed for assigned projects.
- Develops project cost estimates using experience and other available sources of data.
- Prepares and maintains detailed project accounting spread sheets.
- Recommends approval of payments. At times must justify why a payment variance or change order to a project is necessary and justified.
4. Performs other related duties as assigned (10%)
Hawai'i Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable environment in which faculty and staff can excel irrespective of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or any other protected class covered by state and federal law. Hawai'i Pacific University encourages applications from veterans and individuals with disabilities. A pre-employment background investigation is performed on candidates selected for employment.
- Actively participates as an effective member of team by completing assigned duties, accepting additional assignments or reassignments.
- In the event of an emergency, the employee holding this position is required to "report to duty" in accordance with the University's emergency operations plan and/or the employee's department's emergency response and/or recovery plans. Familiarity with those plans and participation in departmental training is occasionally required.
- On-island travel using own transportation is required. Driving is an essential function of this position.
- Primary work hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. However, at times some night and weekend work may be required to support project efforts.