Intranet Content Strategist
The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America® (Guardian), currently ranked #218 on the Fortune 500, is one of the largest mutual life insurers. As of December 31, 2017, Guardian reports $1.6 billion in operating income, $8 billion in capital, and $71.5 billion in assets under management. Guardian consistently scores high marks for financial strength from all four major credit rating agencies and enjoys a strong competitive position in its major businesses: life insurance, disability income insurance, annuities, investments, dental and vision insurance and employee benefits.
As a mutual company founded over 150 years ago, Guardian is owned by its policyholders. The company has paid dividends to policyholders every year since 1868 and the Company’s 8,800 employees and 2,750 financial representatives are aligned with its mission to help individuals, families, and small businesses achieve financial security and protection.
Guardian states its aspiration in the following way: “To be the trusted mutual partner, delivering financial security how, when, and where our clients prefer.”
The Intranet Content Strategist for Guardian’s intranet site will create an enterprise-wide content strategy that engages and inspires colleagues in the Company’s vision, strategic goals (business and culture), values and purpose.
This manager will lead sourcing, development, writing and design of content from across the Company, as well as manage editorial strategy and planning. With a focus on continuous improvement, metrics analysis and other listening techniques, the role will have a holistic view of how stakeholders feel to inform an effective content approach.
The content strategist is a creative storyteller who works at both strategic and tactical levels to manage, create and edit content that addresses the Company’s “big-picture” needs across multiple platforms and channels. This individual will understand attention-grabbing techniques and emerging methods for designing compelling and effective content. The role will build relationships with colleagues and business partners to shape the Company narrative and ensure consistent messaging.
- Collaborate with leadership and other communication colleagues to formulate and manage an integrated content strategy and editorial calendar that aligns with strategic priorities.
- Create, edit, improve and maintain intranet content to achieve Company goals with a strong emphasis on storytelling.
- Work with Corporate Communications & Brand and business areas colleagues to proactively solicit details needed for content creation that delivers on business goals. Then translates concepts and strategies into engaging copy.
- Regularly evaluate communications, effectiveness and implements new approaches and strategies to improve engagement.
- Draw on stakeholder understanding to advise business partners on optimal message content and timing for different stakeholder segments.
- Collaborate with Digital Internal Communications team to align technology strategy with content strategy.
- Review/approve content for completeness, timeliness, accuracy and correctness.
- Establish and ensure consistent voice and AP grammatical standards, as well as Company editorial and brand standards.
- Analyze site metrics for content effectiveness and adjust content as needed in support of business goals.
- Identify ways to increase readership and engagement through two-way communication.
- Ensure continuous digital innovation.
- Monitor competitive initiatives and remain up-to-date on digital marketing innovations, identifying new opportunities.
Skills and Leadership Competencies:
- This position reports to the head of Strategy and Enterprise Communications who, in turn, reports to the Chief Communications Officer.
- Strategic thinker and outcome focused.
- Excellent writer / storyteller and editor, including alignment to AP style standards and Company editorial and brand style guidelines.
- Strong communication and relational skills within and outside the organization to achieve business goals.
- Works back from the desired stakeholder reaction to craft simple and clear messages that create an emotional connection with the target audience.
- Ability to establish effective relationships with senior leadership.
- Interpersonal influence – leads business partners, even without the positional authority to do so – to deliver effective communications solutions.
- Creative approach to communications.
- Audience understanding and foresight.
- Ability to adapt to a changing and growing environment.
- Considers competing and changing priorities, resources and time demands to produce plans that are realistic and achievable.
- Self-starter with the ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Great attitude, team player and willingness to teach and learn.
- Ability to work complex issues with a strong sense of ownership, drive and urgency.
- Consistently works to develop greater expertise with digital tools and improve writing skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Understands how to leverage multi-media design in delivering compelling and engaging content.
- Experience with Google Analytics or similar metrics tool(s)
- Experience working in a corporate environment in a regulated industry; insurance/financial services a plus
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Journalism, or related field or comparable experience
- Minimum of seven years’ experience writing/editing for online media and coordinating social media campaigns
- Familiarity with content management systems (SharePoint Online, Office365 a plus)
- Previous experience with web content and related apps preferred
Guardian is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Primary Location United States-New York
Shift Day Job
Job Type Standard
Travel Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Posting May 11, 2018, 8:31:37 AM