For Current Kite Pharma Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job
Specific Responsibilities and Skills for Position:
Kite, a Gilead Company, is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of novel cancer immunotherapy products designed to harness the power of a patient’s own immune system to selectively target and kill cancer cells. Our core technology involves the genetic engineering of T cells, or white blood cells, to express either chimeric antigen receptors (CARs) or T cell receptors (TCRs) for the treatment of advanced solid and hematological malignancies.
The Corporate Legal Group at Kite is seeking an experienced life sciences transactional/licensing attorney who thrives in a rapidly growing, high-volume, fast-paced, high-performing and collaborative corporate environment to join its team.
This position will report to the Head of Legal at Kite. Responsibilities will include (i) drafting and negotiating contracts and other legal documents in support of a broad range of client groups which may include R&D, Manufacturing and Tech Ops, Medical Affairs, Commercial Operations, Finance, Alliance Management and Corporate Development; (ii) providing legal support for the company’s existing collaborations and partnerships, including joint ventures; (iii) drafting and negotiating complex business transactions; (iv) providing senior management with effective advice on legal issues and risks, company business strategies, and their implementation; and (v) working collaboratively with the broader Gilead legal department, senior leaders and client groups at Gilead’s headquarters in Foster City, CA and at affiliates and subsidiaries around the globe.
The person in this position will, among other things:
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
- Draft and negotiate a wide range of contracts typical for the life sciences industry, including collaboration agreements, funded research agreements, license agreements, development and supply agreements and various vendor services agreements.
- Structure, draft and negotiate complex licensing and partnering agreements, alone or in collaboration with senior attorneys in Foster City or outside counsel, depending on the transaction.
- Provide legal advice and support for existing alliances and partnerships.
- Advise internal client groups and senior management on contract interpretation, dispute resolution, IP ownership, product registration, legal issues related to the development, marketing and distribution of pharmaceutical products, corporate governance and other legal risks.
- Advise junior attorneys and contract specialists on the preparation, negotiation and execution of more routine documents and agreements.
- Work with the Corporate Development team, the Corporate Legal Affairs team in Foster City, and other departments within the company to conduct and coordinate due diligence efforts in licensing and M&A transactions.
- Assist with the development of policies and procedures, and standard template language to be used in contracts.
- Provide litigation support as needed, including the drafting and negotiation of settlement agreements.
Willingness and ability to work with and coordinate activities across a large number of individuals across various departments in a rapidly expanding company, not only within Kite’s headquarters in Santa Monica, but also at the Gilead parent company’s headquarters in Foster City, CA, and throughout the company’s domestic and international affiliates in Europe and Asia.
Appropriately triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with clients and delivering results efficiently.
Ability to think creatively, devise solutions to challenging problems and effectively drive issues to closure.
Exercise mature and reliable judgment while enjoying the company's enthusiastic, informal and fast-paced environment.
Mentor and train junior attorneys and contract specialists in the Corporate Legal department.
Effectively collaborate with and manage outside counsel.
Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Juris Doctorate from a nationally recognized law school.
- Admitted to practice (preferably in California).
- BS in life sciences or related field preferred.
- at least 6 years in a law firm, or combined law firm and in-house experience advising, drafting and negotiating agreements, including significant experience with transactions in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Prior experience with or exposure to agreements with academic institutions and/or the NIH and other governmental entities preferred.
- Familiarity with international regulatory processes for pharmaceutical products including biologics, and laws and regulations governing clinical trials, and marketing and commercialization of pharmaceutical products preferred.
- Ability to manage and serve a wide range of clients within the company by recognizing and responding quickly and pragmatically to urgent situations and demanding clients.
- Exceptional and demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.