Upstream companies within the Shell Group have one of the largest exploration positions in North and South America, including the US Gulf of Mexico, Mexico, Bolivia, Colombia, and Brazil.
Shell is looking for a Legal Counsel - Upstream Contracts who will provide professional, timely, cost-effective and practical legal advice and support to the Wells organization, with a focus on onshore and offshore wells services and onshore rigs, in the US and Canada and where required globally. Furthermore, the successful candidate may be required to provide support to C&P in the Americas.
Country of Work Location
City, State (if applicable)
Houston - EP Center Americas
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- JD from an accredited US law school is required.
- Minimum five (5+) years of experience as a Licensed Attorney in good standing in Texas or another state in the United States (or can become immediately eligible to be admitted to the State Bar of Texas).
- Experience, preferably in a business legal advisory role, with experience in drafting, negotiating and advising on complex upstream commercial arrangements and/or joint ventures
- Ability to draft with appropriate understanding and interpretation of the commercial intentions
- Ability to deal with a high workload, including working on several issues in parallel
- Ability to develop and sustain relationships with clients at all levels and in a range of cultures
- Ability to understand and take account of business drivers and needs
- Able to give clear exposition of a legal issue and to provide succinct accurate and comprehensible legal advice
- Attention to detail; commercial and creative thinking; self-confident\\
- Influencing, negotiating and facilitation skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and with both internal and external stakeholders with diverse cultural backgrounds
- Good verbal and written communication skills and good drafting skills
- Fluent written and spoken English
- May have to travel on occasion
- Prior experience dealing with CP contracts is a plus
- Prior experience dealing with Wells contracts is a plus
- Prior experience dealing with Upstream contracts is a plus
No. of Positions
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.