The City of Palo Alto Public Works Department is currently recruiting for a Landfill Technician in the Environmental Services Division, Zero Waste Group. The Zero Waste Group manages the City's curbside collection and zero waste programs; operates a household hazardous waste collection program and monitors and maintains the City's closed landfill.
The Landfill Technician position is an essential member of a three person team that maintains the City's closed landfill, assists in the oversight of the field operation of the City's household hazardous waste contractor, and assists in a variety of environmental responsibilities mandatory to the department's operations. This position reports to the Manager of Environmental Control Programs and is a first line position for inspection, monitoring and maintenance of the landfill gas and leachate control systems in accordance with local and state regulations.
The Landfill Technician is responsible for the maintenance and monitoring of the City's closed landfill, primarily focusing on the maintenance and monitoring of both the landfill gas system (methane), gas condensate recovery system and the leachate extraction system (liquids). The Landfill Technician utilizes specialized instruments to inspect and monitor over 100 vertical gas wells for vacuum, percent methane and leaks. The Technician also performs monitoring of the leachate extraction submersible pumps and performs maintenance on the pumps as needed. Duties also include inspecting the final cover of the landfill and overseeing soil importation to final grades to repair subsidence. Other duties include:
- Monitoring and operating controls associated with the landfill gas flare and landfill compressor used to operate pneumatic pumps;
- Assists with coordinating field work by contractors for various maintenance activities and generating daily reports to document the work;
- Support in maintaining other Zero Waste facilities such as the Household Hazardous Waste Station, Municipal Services Center storage areas, and the Los Altos Treatment Plant (LATP) Collection Contractor storage yard;
- Operates weed eaters, blowers, mowers and trains others in the safe operation and maintenance of equipment; and
- Other duties as assigned by the Environmental Manager and/or the Facilities Maintenance Lead.
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities which would typically be acquired through:
- Two years college with emphasis on engineering/construction or associated subjects.
- Two years field engineering/construction experience, preferably in a landfill environment.
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License, Class C
- Ability to obtain and maintain CA OSHA 24 hour Haz Waste Training.
- Ability to obtain and maintain Fusion Certification.
The ideal candidate is familiar with maintenance required at closed landfills. They have experience with methane gas and leachate collection systems, are familiar with high density polyethylene (HDPE) welding, butt-fusion, and electrofusion, and can operate and maintain pneumatic submersible pumps. This person has an aptitude for diagnosing problems in the field, and is self-motivated with the ability to plan proactively for upcoming maintenance needs. The ideal candidate works as a collaborative team member as well as independently. They are organized with the ability to keep good field records and are comfortable working in Microsoft Office. The ideal candidate is 24 hour OSHA certified with hazardous waste operations and emergency response training (HAZWOPER).