Provides secretarial and administrative support using knowledge of medical terminology and procedures in a hospital, clinic, or laboratory environment.
Compiles information for recording purposes and prepares reports.
Screens and directs telephone calls, schedules appointments, greets patients, visitors, and maintains patient flow.
Position Qualifications Required / Experience Required:
- Greets patients and other visitors. Maintains patient flow. Addresses and resolves routine inquiries.
- Screens and handles any calls and/or correspondence for requests for materials, records, patient appointment, ensuring HIPPA guidelines are followed.
- Sorts and distributes mail.
- Performs general registration and billing, obtaining pre-certifications, verifying appropriate coding, insurance, co-pays, medical records, and referrals.
- Acts as a liaison with Patient Accounting and/or Physician billing services as required to clarify billing and charge issues.
- Produces, processes and maintains required documentation and reports such as productivity/utilization, medical records, customer surveys, audits, financial reports, staff certifications/licenses.
- Schedules management appointments, meetings, conferences. Prepares meeting minutes and memos. May maintain calendars/itinerary for management personnel as requested.
- Assists in orienting new office staff; participates in performance improvement initiatives; coordinates and maintains support personnel schedules.
- May lead work of other clerical or administrative support personnel on a project basis, as assigned, or as necessary to ensure smooth office work flow.
- Maintains office equipment (copier, fax, etc.), ensures par levels of office supplies and maintains disposition of clinical materials as required by regulatory agencies.
Proficiency in using computers (data entry, word processing, report production).
Working knowledge of medical terminology.
Excellent communication skills (verbal-written-listening) in order to interact with patients, medical staff and other internal/external clientele.
Strong organizational skills ability to use sound judgment to prioritize duties.
Familiarity with department policies and procedures or ability to quickly learn and operate within those parameters.
One year experience in a medical setting preferred.
High School diploma or G.E.D.
Associate’s Degree in Medical Secretarial Science preferred.