WHO WE ARE
At American Meadows, our purpose is to Do Good Through Gardening. Our primary focus is to be great at providing home gardeners with the products and knowledge and website experience they need to succeed. We work to accomplish this by combining top-quality products, a staff that’s passionate about what we do, the latest in technology and proven direct-to-consumer methods. If that sounds intriguing, read on...
Gardeners work very hard for results that often do not arrive for months or even years. We want to inspire, educate and inform our customers while also closing the sale. We are always looking for ways to create an exceptional user experience on our websites and need your expertise to make this happen. We have an aggressive development schedule, with some very engaging projects planned for AmericanMeadows.com, HighCountryGardens.com, and LandrethSeed.com
WHO YOU ARE and WHAT YOU’D DO
ACCOUNTABILITIES & SUCCESS MEASURES:
The following chart reflects how you’d spend your time and the measures of success:
Accountability |Priority |Time |Success Factors
Web Development | Priority 1 | 75% of time
- Optimize page load times and browser rendering.
- Develop, implement and document functionality for A/B, multivariate and other tests to improve the usability of our websites, as well as increase KPIs including conversion rate, engagement, time on site, and AOV.
Web Development Success Factors:
- Scope, document and develop technical specifications.
- Accurately estimate time and resource requirements.
- Author well-formed standards compliant back-end code including PHP and JS, and front side markup including CSS & HTML in a thoughtful and maintainable manner. Peer Code Review Expected.
- Create tests using various testing tools to show KPI improvements from development efforts.
Test, Maintain & Troubleshoot | Priority 2 | 15% of time
- Test and troubleshoot website functionality as required.
- Handle CS tickets and functionality issues within your purview.
Test, Maintain & Troubleshoot Success Factors:
- Low ticket/bug creation metrics
- Limited backlog of tickets/bugs
- Smooth release of new functionality with limited disruptions
Planning & Strategy | Priority 3 | 10% of time
- Contribute to marketing and development strategy.
- Develop technical roadmap
- Evaluate and Contribute to an effective development process.
- Evaluate and design Sprint & project plans.
Planning & Strategy Success Factors:
- Develop projects on time and within project estimates.
- Contribute to successful platform development.
- Contribute to a highly productive development team, hitting quarterly rocks, and achieving development goals.
- 3+ years front-end development in a collaborative team environment.
- XML experience – Magento uses XML layouts extensively.
- Ability to translate design/prototype into working product working with UI/UX Designer.
- Solid understanding of e-commerce architecture, connectivity technologies, and multi-vendor environments.
- Experience with Magento preferred but not required, comparable experience with ecommerce and CMS platforms.
- Ability to convert PSDs/designs into workable xHTML.
- Passion to create an amazing customer experience.
- Knowledgeable of information architecture and UI/UX best practices.
- Passion for responsive and adaptive design principles and latest technologies.
- Ability to gather and collaborate on requirements and develop functional specifications.
- Experience with A/B testing and other customer segmentation optimizations.
- Experience with software development lifecycle especially dev testing and QA resolution processing.
- Comfortable with version control (GIT) best practices.
- Bonus: Experience with automated testing.
- A creative problem solver, self-motivated and tenacious when tackling tough issues. Able to weed through prioritize sometimes conflicting requirements. Ability to work synergistically with others.
- A team player with energy and enthusiasm, and a high tolerance for change and ambiguity.
- Willingness to ‘do what it takes’ to contribute to the success of a small, growing business.
- We’re gardeners – you should be willing to dig in the dirt too!
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The usual, but very important, things like health, vision, dental and pet insurance (which the company contributes to), as well as a matching retirement plan and company paid Life Insurance, AD&D and Disability. Also, time away to rejuvenate is very important so we offer paid time off and paid holidays. Lastly, we invest in our people and we will help you grow (Master Gardener, Advanced Vegetable Gardening Certification, Leadership training, and so much more)!
- A fun-loving team of plant nerds who are looking to make the world a little better – one wildflower at a time
- A few well-behaved dogs who offer up free puppy kisses, their bellies to scratch, and a paw shake if you’ll give them a cookie!
- Fully stocked kitchen of mostly healthy snacks, but sometimes a plate of nachos is just what you need!
- Discounts on all American Meadows,High Country Gardens and Landreth Seed products because we want you to dig in and have the opportunity to grow a beautiful garden!
- Full usage of company fitness room, free in-house yoga classes, and the opportunity to join us for free company events and activities (this year, so far, we’ve hiked Mount Philo for a BBQ at the summit, have had lots of ice cream sundae parties, chair massages, dress up like a gnome day- because why not??, Food Truck Friday, & a company party at a local brewery).
The position will offer a salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package. This role has direct reports. Interested parties are to send Step 1 (mandatory) and a resume.
Step 1 is simple: In a few short paragraphs, write a quick summary of either a great ecommerce website and what made it so, or how we could improve the user experience on our own website (don’t worry, we have thick skin). Don’t go overboard – This isn’t a writing exercise, rather a chance to get a sense for how you go about your craft.
American Meadows is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Job Type: Full-time
- front end development: 3 years (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
- Other types of insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Education assistance or tuition reimbursement
- Child Care benefits
- Gym memberships or discounts
- Commuting/travel assistance
- Employee discounts
- Flexible schedules
- Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules