You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
With the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. When you join Team Amex, you become part of a global and diverse community of colleagues with an unwavering commitment to back our customers, communities, and each other. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we help you create a career journey that’s unique and meaningful to you with benefits, programs, and flexibility that support you personally and professionally.
At American Express, you’ll be recognized for your contributions, leadership, and impact—every colleague has the opportunity to share in the company’s success. Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to provide the world’s best customer experience every day. And we’ll do it with the utmost integrity, and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they belong.
Join #TeamAmex and let’s lead the way together.
How we serve our customers is constantly evolving and is a challenge we gladly accept. Whether you’re finding new ways to prevent identity fraud or enabling customers to start a new business, you can work with one of the most valuable data sets in the world to identify insights and actions that can have a meaningful impact on our customers and our business. And, with opportunities to learn from leaders who have defined the course of our industry, you can grow your career and define your own path. Find your place in risk and analytics on #TeamAmex.
How will you make an impact in this role?
You will work in a highly dynamic and exciting environment and will have the opportunity to shape strategies and policies for American Express products and services. You will play an influential role working closely with colleagues in other Risk Management teams, Marketing, Finance, Servicing, Legal, Compliance, Banking, and Technology to create world-class strategies and capabilities.
This critical team is responsible for managing enterprise risks through the customer lifecycle and across all our global products. We develop industry-first data capabilities, build profitable decision-making frameworks, create machine learning-powered predictive models, and improve customer servicing strategies. This team has delivered industry-leading results year after year while enabling profitable growth and delivering a best-in-class customer experience.
This team is structured under three core functions:
- Credit Risk Strategy: Monitor credit portfolios and optimize profit-based risk management decisions at all stages of the customer credit lifecycle
- Fraud Risk Strategy: Develop fraud prevention strategies on behalf of our customers
- Risk Capabilities: Develop technical solutions and capabilities to manage data and execute credit and fraud risk strategies
The key responsibilities for Managers in Credit or Fraud Risk Strategy include:
- Develop and continuously enhance policies, processes, and controls for mitigating credit risk exposure and preventing fraud
- Conduct quantitative analysis to decide the thresholds within which consumers and businesses can access funds (for example: who is approved for a card, how much credit line do they receive, and when they swipe their card, is their transaction approved?)
- Design customer communication and servicing strategies to support risk management strategies, ensuring a positive experience across every customer touchpoint
- Identify, evaluate, and integrate new data sources and capabilities into decision-making
- Analyze large volumes of data to identify emerging credit trends and uncover new fraud patterns
- Partner with other teams across the company to standardize methodologies
- Maintain an effective control environment and respond to operational breakdowns with discipline
- Advanced degree (e.g., MS, PhD, or MBA) in a quantitative field such as Econometrics, Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Engineering, or Computer Science
- Advanced degree is preferred but not required given a suitable combination of formal education and work experience
- Credit/Fraud risk management experience and understanding of credit lifecycle is preferred
- Blend of analytical skills, process expertise, project management, and relationship-building skills
- Ability to handle large datasets using SAS, SQL, R, Python or another similar programming language
- Thought leadership and solution-oriented mindset
- Ability to think strategically and apply both quantitative methods and business insights to drive results
- Ability to build strong relationships in a cross-functional environment
- Clear, effective written and oral communication skills
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Salary Range: $90,000.00 to $165,000.00 annually + bonus + benefits
The above represents the expected salary range for this job requisition. Ultimately, in determining your pay, we'll consider your location, experience, and other job-related factors.
We back our colleagues and their loved ones with benefits and programs that support their holistic well-being. That means we prioritize their physical, financial, and mental health through each stage of life. Benefits include:
- Competitive base salaries
- Bonus incentives
- 6% Company Match on retirement savings plan
- Free financial coaching and financial well-being support
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and disability benefits
- Flexible working model with hybrid, onsite or virtual arrangements depending on role and business need
- 20+ weeks paid parental leave for all parents, regardless of gender, offered for pregnancy, adoption or surrogacy
- Free access to global on-site wellness centers staffed with nurses and doctors (depending on location)
- Free and confidential counseling support through our Healthy Minds program
- Career development and training opportunities
For a full list of Team Amex benefits, visit our Colleague Benefits Site.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That's why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
US Job Seekers/Employees - Click here to view the “Know Your Rights” poster and the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters to access the three posters.