Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE:
GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The USA TODAY NETWORK is looking for a talented Senior Designer – UX and Strategy to play a key role helping to both elevate product design research methodologies and bring rigor and clarity to our iterative design process.
You have a passion for design craft and abilities as a strategic thinker. You will help lead initiatives to marry the analytical with the creative. As a Senior Designer, you will work with UI Designers, product managers, business analysts and technology developers to shape next-gen consumer experiences.
This role goes far beyond improving news sites. We’re transforming the ways in which information is gathered, experienced and shared. Imagine a world where reading, watching and listening are not passive acts — where the distance between journalist and consumer evaporates.
Through our apps, websites, content verticals and events, the USA TODAY NETWORK taps into the zeitgeist of neighborhoods and communities, in ways no other American media brand can. We are dedicated to building stronger communities. To do that, we inform, equip and empower people: fostering deep and vital connections between the members of our communities and the world around them.
By collaborating with multidisciplinary teams to take on our toughest business challenges and define compelling solutions for customers, you will leverage your expertise in:
What You Will Do:
- Empathy – You have proven record in identifying and developing customer archetypes, planning and conducting various types of research, and prioritizing insights, data, and customer needs to drive product design solutions.
- Storytelling – You understand how to influence through effective storytelling. You can demonstrate ways the stories you’ve told to sell a new idea, influence stakeholders, or represent the voice of the customer (VOC).
- Rapid iteration – You are a workshop wizard. Leveraging best of design thinking principles, you can facilitate discussions, design jams, and other working sessions to identify design opportunities and iterate effectively to achieve high-quality results
- Translate insights and strategy into concept prototypes, clearly communicating your vision through your artifacts.
- Lead team efforts to define methodologies to reach and make sense of the voice of the customer (design research, work-session facilitation, prototyping) to identify opportunity areas and unmet customer needs
- Drive strategic consideration of the desired customer experience through frameworks, product prioritization, roadmaps, CX designs, etc
- Use visual and tangible storytelling to share your discoveries, influence stakeholders and create energy around an idea or an initiative
- Leverage a generative work style: you can visualize and iterate rapidly at different levels of fidelity (e.g., sketches, wireframes)
- Iterate on design strategies and UX solutions that address business goals and customer needs
- Ensure consistency in UX flows and interactions across multiple platforms and devices
Preferred Background or Experience:
- Minimum BA or higher in related field (design strategy, UX design, communication design, or industrial design
- 4-7 years of design experience of design experience preferably within a news, publishing or agency setting.
- Understand how to translate enterprise design solutions across break points and/or key platfor
- Understanding of web analytics to inform data-driven CX solutions
- Hands on expertise with product design and agile methodologies
- Strong expertise in human-centered design and design thinking tools and methods
- Experience with a digital product & services company
- Proven ability to translate insights into design opportunities within constraints.
- Thorough understanding of user-centered design processes and practical experience in working with consumer-oriented experiences and/or products
- Fluent in empathy research methodologies, UX research, and usability testing
- In depth experience in key UX areas like empathy research, design strategy, information architecture
- The ability to think about the end-goal and higher strategy while understanding known constraints to produce an engaging design experience
- Strong sense of collaboration; you should thrive in iterative, cross-disciplinary environments
- Comfortable trying new things and failing quickly to get to optimal solution
- Use design to communicate complex concepts, whether they’re conversations, frameworks, or ideas
- Ability to drive consensus via facilitation, storytelling, brainstorming
- Hands-on knowledge of Design tools (Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, Invision, Microsoft Office Suite, etc.)
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.