ATMC, North Carolina’s largest telecommunications cooperative, is currently seeking a Communications Services Technician.ATMC is located along the beautiful Atlantic coast in Brunswick County, N.C., halfway between Wilmington, N.C. and Myrtle Beach, S.C.
The Communications Services Technician installs, maintains, and services telephone, cable television (CATV), fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP), broadband, DSL, and VDSL service and IPTV Triple Play services.
This position reports to the Manager, Communications Services.
Essential Job Functions:
- Installs new services and equipment for subscribers by installing CAT 5 wiring, co-ax cable, aerial drop wire, fiber optic cables and related equipment, ground blocks, station protectors, network interface devices, CATV splitters, CATV amps, modems, routers, switches, HPNA bridges, CATV boxes, indoor and outdoor power supplies, ONTs, and MDUs.
- Verifies Quality of Service by means of various test equipment, including, but not limited to: Laptops, JDSU V3 Meter, EXPO Meter, Sunrise Meter, Tempo Sidekick, Cable Scout, Dynatel Locator, Fiber Light Meter, Volt/OHM, and Data Safe Test Sets.
- Wires new services using various power tools, hand tools, and equipment.
- Maintains and repairs existing services and equipment.
- Maintains accurate plant records and forms, including customer billing sheets and daily inventory.
- Utilizes smartphone and laptop to complete work and document test results.
- Confers with customers to determine problems and acceptable resolutions and provides extensive training on all services provided.
- Promotes and offers all other services provided by ATMC.
- Provides exceptional customer service and efficiency in all services offered.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge and understanding of internet/networking and data communications fundamentals (e.g. protocols, standards).
- Working knowledge and understanding of telecommunications.
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents and drawings.
- Ability to work independently and make sound technical decisions using information at hand.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to function effectively as a team player.
- Ability to lift minimum of 60 pounds.
- Ability to report to work regularly and punctually.
- Ability to work overtime both with and without notice as necessary.
- Ability to be on call and work on weekends and holidays.
- Ability and history of working safely.
- Ability to work both in and out-of-doors in various weather conditions.
- Proficiency in computer use.
Minimum Qualifications/Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Associate’s degree in a technical field.
- Telecom and Network Data Certifications.
- Hands-on work experience in technical fields such as electrical/electronics, computer, telecommunications (voice/video/data).
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Interested candidates should submit Resume, Cover Letter, and Employment Application (available at www.atmc.com) along with wage/salary history for confidential consideration to: ATMC Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 3198, Shallotte, N.C. 28459.
ATMCis An Equal Opportunity Employer. ATMC is a Drug Free Workplace.
Job Type: Full-time
- hands-on telecommunications: 1 year (Preferred)
- Telecom and Network Data Certifications (Preferred)