Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art - Bentonville, AR
Reporting to the Preparator, the Associate Preparator provides support and assistance in the packing and unpacking, loading and unloading, transportation, installation, deinstallation and related tasks of all artwork for featured and permanent exhibitions both inside the museum and on the museum grounds.
The Associate Preparator possesses skills beyond entry level with proficiency in two or more areas of collections care. This position is responsible for managing at least one designated skill of collections care while maintaining standard planning, preparation, design, and installation of museum exhibits, art collections, or other display materials. The Associate Preparator will design and construct display materials and coordinate the packing, moving, maintenance, and safety of the collections with minimal oversight.
Principal Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
Education, Training, and Traits:
- Assists Preparator, Registrars and Curators in planning, design, installation, and de-installation of art, condition reports or other exhibits for public display.
- Designs and constructs crates, display cases, and related items as required.
- Packs, moves, and maintains collections; researches and implements efficient storage and display methods.
- Maintains appropriate collection documentation as required.
- May lead, guide, and train staff, interns, and/or volunteers in performing related work; may participate in the recruitment of volunteers as directed.
- Proficient with all aspects of installation and collection rotations in permanent gallery spaces, temporary gallery spaces, and outdoor sculpture trail.
- Proficient with installation of exhibition signage and wall didactics.
- Proficient with gallery lighting.
- Basic understanding of preventative maintenance care.
- Handles all loading and unloading of art trucks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Unpacking and packing of artwork and exhibition furniture.
- Maintains and organizes objects in storage spaces to await exhibitions.
- Prepares housing for artwork, objects, and artifacts for storage and transportation purposes.
- Assists with matting and framing of artwork.
- Maintains the care and cleanliness of all casework and platforms throughout the museum facility on a daily basis.
- Maintains an inventory list of materials, tools and equipment.
- Maintains an organized, clean, and functional working prep space.
- Bachelor’s degree or broad cognizant knowledge regarding the relevance of art and museums in today’s society.
- Demonstrates basic carpentry skills
- Knowledge of art and art history
In regards to education and experience, an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience will satisfy the minimum requirements.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Minimum 2-3 years of museum or gallery experience preferred
Skills and Abilities:
- Valid Driver’s License with clean driving record.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Detail Oriented
- Communications skills
- Ability to be manage project load
- Goal oriented
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: In the work environment described below, position requires verbal and written conversation with others, sitting, standing, walking, bending, climbing, reaching, strenuous lifting/moving objects up to 50 pounds, and use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. Position requires use of hands to safely handle and move collection objects according to the most current approved museum standards. Position periodically requires standing for prolonged periods of time. Vision abilities required by the job include close vision.
- Work Environment: The majority of work will be performed in an office or museum gallery environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. Work requires periodic transport of packed art works and exhibition furniture and equipment to and from local off-site storage facilities. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. Position requires some independent overnight travel. Incumbent must meet a flexible work schedule including evenings, and weekends.
Application and Additional Information
To be considered for this position, please apply through this posting. Applications must be complete and include a resume and cover letter.
No phone calls please.
The successful candidate will be required to pass a routine background and consumer credit check and drug screen.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
Crystal Bridges is committed to creating an institution that reflects the diversity of our region and nation. We are especially mindful of those in our community impacted by inequity due to ability, language, class, age, gender, religion, sexuality, race and ethnicity, and are working diligently to address perceived and real barriers that keep anyone from fully experiencing the museum as a guest, volunteer, or employee. To achieve true reform, we must have a diverse, highly qualified team. Crystal Bridges is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We actively encourage minority candidates to apply for this position.
Crystal Bridges is a museum of American Art located in Bentonville, Arkansas. We explore the unfolding story of America by actively collecting, exhibiting, interpreting and preserving outstanding works that illuminate the American heritage and artistic possibilities.
We are passionate about transforming lives through experiences that encourage the discovery of new ideas, expanded dreams and inspired actions.
As an employee at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, you will be empowered to think creatively, ask questions, and make suggestions to help move the institution forward.