The Assistant Property Manager (APM) is responsible to lease apartments, retain residents, market the property, and handle administrative and financial responsibilities for the assigned property. The APM is responsible to oversee the property in the absence of the Property Manager. This position is designed to prepare individuals for a position as a Property Manager. An APM will be asked to assume greater responsibilities upon absorbing and applying knowledge of all aspects of property management as well as displaying maturity and good judgment. The APM serves as the individual responsible for the property in the absence of the Property Manager and serves as a role model to peers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all tasks related to renting apartment homes including generating traffic, responding to telephone and internet inquiries, greeting prospective residents, touring prospective residents throughout the property, qualifying prospects and closing the sale by obtaining a rental application and a deposit.
- Visually inspect entire property (office, models, compactor, vacants, and amenity areas) daily for cleanliness.
- Process rental applications, obtain required documents, schedule move-ins and prepare all lease file documents.
- Maintain lease files per policy and procedure.
- Accurately record traffic from all sources daily.
- Convert minimum of 30% total traffic to leases.
- Processes resident move-outs by reviewing lease terms and notice requirements, applying appropriate deposit and lease cancellation fees, if applicable, and processing the disposition in accordance with established procedures and legal requirements.
- Follows the Company’s procedures related to evictions by following proper notice requirements, evicting residents, and representing the property as required in court hearings and eviction proceedings.
- Ensure success of marketing efforts by tracking traffic, reviewing ads, and developing potential marketing leads.
- Pick trash up, operate trash compactor when necessary and if called for, carry cleaning supplies and/or vacuum up or down stairs to apartment homes, and clean apartment to bring it up to resident ready standards.
- General Office/Administrative Responsibilities:
Document all occurrences which need the manager's attention and immediately contact your Area Vice President regarding any emergencies.
Record resident service requests accurately and in detail to assist the service team in the timely completion of all requests.
Schedule and inspect apartments for turnkey service.
Receive and acknowledge resident notices and prepare files.
Assist in lease renewal procedure by:
1. Completing lease renewal printout and submitting to manager for approval.
2. Contacting each resident by phone prior to 75 days before the end of his or her initial term.
3. Sending renewal letters to those residents you are unable to reach by phone.
4. Typing new leases.
Assemble move-in packages.
Keep market survey of competitor rates up to date at least monthly and visit competitors at least every six months.
Keep all filing current.
Schedule guest apartment and clubhouse rentals.
Operate office alarm system in conjunction with opening and closing the office.
Deliver thorough move-in presentation to new residents.
Complete all RAM training in time frame specified.
- Financial Responsibilities:
Reviews monthly financial reports and supporting data with Property Manager.
Maximize gross rent and minimize vacant and delinquent rent loss.
Calculate daily rent, prorata charges, late fees, and percentages (multiplication, division, addition and subtraction skills necessary).
1. Collect, date stamp and bank stamp all rent checks daily.
2. Take deposits daily to specified bank office. Operate night drop box when necessary. Consistently follow cash procedures.
3. Notify resident of returned check. If replacement check is not received within 48 hours, post demand and file dispossessory. Keep managers informed on status of dispossessories.
4. Make all efforts to collect rental payments including going to the residents apartment with an escort to collect in person.
5. Monitor cash receipts book.
6. Completes move out statements for past residents and sends to accounting on a weekly basis, inputs payables and sends to accounting on a weekly basis.
7. Turn over collection files every 30 days. Montior any payment plans and updates monthly.
8. Ensure all reporting is done accurately and on time in Property Manager’s absence.
CUSTOMER SERVICE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communicate clearly to residents, both verbally and in writing, using proper grammar and spelling.
- Promotes resident satisfaction and retention by responding to complaints, questions, and requests in a timely manner, and taking appropriate action to resolve and address service issues.
- Carry and deliver boxes, flowers, newsletters, correspondence, etc. to residents' apartments.
- Coordinate, set up, attend and clean up after resident functions (food, tables, display areas, etc.).
- Maintains a complete clean and neat appearance. Personal appearance must be clean and neat at all times, according to RAM policy.
- Demonstrates customer service skills by treating residents, coworkers, supervisors, and vendors with respect, answering questions in a calm and open manner from coworkers and residents. Responds sensitively to concerns/complaints and exhibits a sense of urgency.
- Acts as the on-site manager in the absence of the Property Manager by organizing and delegating daily work, coordinating maintenance and make-ready tasks with the maintenance supervisor, and managing the operation of the property in compliance with Company policies, procedures, and business practices.
- Motivates the leasing consultants and give consistent verbal and written feedback.
- Trains and develops subordinates (provides on-the-job training and schedules company training).
- Assists in managing the client/owner relationship by meeting with owners, conducting property tours, providing updates and information about the property performance, and responding to owner requests as needed.
- Assists the Property Manager and leasing staff with other tasks as required.
- Comply with RAM Property Management policies.
- Embraces and executes the vision, mission, and beliefs of the Company.
- Is punctual and present at work when scheduled.
- Flexible with the work schedule, including availability to work weekends, evenings, and/or holidays.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills providing for effective communication with residents, employees, peers, vendors, owners, etc. and to assist in efficient operations.
- Bi-lingual abilities (written and verbal) may be required based on specific needs of property.
- Computer software experience to include MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, YARDI®, and ESite.
- Basic understanding of Landlord/Tenant laws and application, familiarity with GAA Lease and Addendums, Fair Housing/ADA regulations and application, OSHA & EPA requirements for property management industry.
- High school degree required, college degree preferred.
- Four years prior experience in property management or in a related industry preferred.
LICENSE(S) OR CERTIFICATION(S) PREFERRED:
- Valid driver’s license and current automobile insurance is required.
- CPM®, ARM® designation preferred. May be required to become certified within six months of employment.
- Ability to earn future designations as required by Industry standards.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $20.00 /hour
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative