Under direction, is responsible to oversee the delivery of multiple medium to large complex projects through consultants and contractors from conceptual design through the finalizing of construction documents. Position has oversight for the Capital construction projects that include a wide range of institutional and commercial facilities while implementing current project management practices, processes and methodologies and proposes more efficient methodologies when able, keeping projects on time and within scope and budget.
Position is pending exclusion from Civil Service.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages Facilities Capital Projects, including oversight of design and construction projects; assists Capital Projects Manager with design and construction issues and with smaller facility renovations as needed and has regular oversight of the work of Project Managers and Assistant Project Managers
- Troubleshoots challenges and issues associated with development and implementation of complex plans and escalate issues when needed and drives interdepartmental communications to maintain timelines and monitor budget requirements
- Directs and coordinates development of project designs with consultants and construction contractors; coordinates with building code officials, other applicable governmental agencies, and other County Departments
- Coordinates scheduling major construction project types such as design-build, Design-Bid-Build, in-house County projects, new construction, renovation and fast-tract projects on a variety of building types such as courthouses, detention centers and jails, residential and non-residential juvenile facilities, vehicle maintenance facilities, law enforcement and fire marshal offices and training centers, administrative offices, archives and records storage facilities and others, all of which must achieve facility requirements and mandates as established by multiple local, state, and federal regulatory agencies
- Prepares and assembles all documentation for administrative and purchasing requirements including purchasing orders, RFQ's and RFP's, IFB's, and coordinates contract issues and related documents; assists with defining and scoping projects needed for County operations, and suggesting alternative project deliver strategies
- Reviews, evaluates, and analyzes plans, specifications, estimates, and contracts for design and construction projects; performs critical path analysis for projects to calculate, identify and manage aspects of the deployment and mitigate risks; resolve and/or escalate issues/risk in a timely fashion
- Monitors consultants' contacts to ensure that projects remain on schedule and within budget, achieve the County's goal and meet all regulatory requirements which range from ADA/TAS, TCJS, local Building Codes, NFPA, NEC, Homeland Security standards and others; conducts field investigations to evaluate construction design problems and recommends solutions
- Leads project review meetings, support clients during onsite visits, and manage client communications; lead project teams to include project managers and administrative staff
- Assists in the preparation and review of the Capital Improvement funding requests and annual capital budget
- Performs related duties as required
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Architecture, Engineering or Construction Management, or related field, and five (5) years of project management, construction management or related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Advanced knowledge of commercial and/or institutional construction; excellent knowledge of bid package preparation
- Good knowledge of project management fundamentals including requirement definition, resource scheduling, budgeting, risk, and change management
- Must be able to demonstrate experience in managing multiple vendors, resources to deliver time sensitive projects
- Must be able to demonstrate experience in customer relationship management and poses the ability to adapt project management approach to satisfy customer's needs
- Proficient in MS office applications (Excel, MS project, Power Point, word) and an understanding of data base principles
- Skill in communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing; skill in communicating effectively with diverse groups of individuals utilizing tact and diplomacy; skill in managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to recognize, anticipate, and resolve conflicts or problems on the job site.; ability to organize, develop, interpret goals, and objectives; ability to operate personal computer and basic office equipment; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, County employees, Elected/Appointed Officials, outside agencies, and the general public
- Must possess and maintain a valid Texas driver's license
- Must secure and maintain a favorable background investigation and clearance
- Must clear a pre-employment physical and a pre-employment drug screen test
- May be required to work more than 40 hours during the workweek
- Working conditions are primarily indoors with occasional outdoor exposure
- May be required to work in jail environment
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions
- Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as damp/wet surfaces, extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
- Frequently moves equipment weighing up to 25 pounds
- Occasionally moves objects weighing up to 60 pounds
- Will frequently communicate with co-workers; must be able to exchange accurate information
- Frequently moves about buildings
- Constantly positions self to perform essential functions
- Constantly operates tools and equipment
Computers are available to view current job postings and to complete the application process at 211 S. Flores Street, San Antonio, TX 78204, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Phone: 210.335.2545
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Bexar County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to Workplace Diversity.
We are committed to providing equal opportunity for protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.