Full Job Description
The primary purpose of the Research Assistant II position impacts quality and efficiency of research projects at the department level. Coordinates technical and data management duties in support of various research projects.
1.Prepares and conducts cloning of various DNA and RNA constructs for a
subsequent usage in mammalian cell culture and creation of genetically
2. Maintains and grows mammalian cells in culture, including Air Liquid Interface culture and performs in vitro assays with those cells.
3. Prepares and conductsex vivo/in situ histologic analyses using the following
techniques: animal dissection, tissue fixation, paraffin embedding, cryofixation,
tissue sectioning (paraffin and frozen), histochemistry, and
4. Performs microscopic and morphometric image analyses of histological
5. Isolates, extracts, purifies, and analyzes mouse genomic DNA and RNA for
genotyping purposes using PCR and gene expression analyses.
6. Isolates, and analyzes proteins from mouse tissues and cell culture lysates
and analyses them via Western blotting.
7. Constructs, assembles, and operates laboratory apparatus and equipment
including thermocyclers, agarose gel electrophoresis units, nebulizers/gas
compressors, and spectrophotometers.
8. Plans experiments and records their results on paper and electronically
legibly and cleanly.
9.The employee must communicate freely and clearly.
MARGINAL OR PERIODIC FUNCTIONS:
1. Presents her/his data in formal Laboratory Seminars (quarterly).
2. Presents assigned papers in Laboratory Journal Club Meetings (quarterly).
Required: Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Preferred: Master's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Required: Two years experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
Preferred: Experience in preparing slides, histology analysis, genotyping.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 135399
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: non-exempt, eligible for overtime, and is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Work Week: Day/Evening, Days, Evenings, Rotating, Varied, Weekends
Fund Type: Soft
Pivotal Position: No
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 36,000
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 44,500
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 54,000
Science Jobs: No